Titliaan

*Samaira's POV*

I hate morning assemblies. Why do we have to gather in the school ground at 8 am in the morning under the scorching sun when we can do the same prayers while staying inside the classroom?

Nevermind, It's not like I can change the rules.

I was walking outside my classroom towards the ground when Saisha was getting scolded by Rathi sir.

Rathi sir is our physics teacher and his morning starts with checking everyone's homework. I don't know what makes him think that everyone in this class will complete the homework but I love his resilience.

"Ms. Matthews! How many times have I told you to solve the entire question?" He practically screamed at Saisha.

"Sorry sir. I'll improve it" Saisha replied with her head lowered down.

Rathi sir let's her go because no matter how much he scolds us, he's also easy on us.

"Yaar main toh JEE aspirant hoon. Main kyu steps solve karu" Saisha whined.

[I'm a JEE aspirant. Why must I solve all the steps]

"That's not how it works yaar tujhe boards bhi toh dena hai" I advised.

[You've to appear for boards as well]

Saisha kept her notebook in her bag and we both headed out with Gaurika joining us.

The distance between 12-A and the ground is just one floor. Like every other day, I took the stairs instead of elevator.
Everyone prefers the newly installed elevators for the sake of fun but I am too scared of taking the elevator.

We reached the ground and lined up in a queue according to our heights. Saisha and Gaurika are both taller than me so they were behind me.

The air is filled with chatter and laughter as friends reunite after one long day. Teachers stand at strategic points, guiding students to their assigned spots with gentle reminders to maintain order.

*tap-tap-tap* Ms. Jain tapped the mic.

"Everyone! Stand in attention and join your hands" Ms. Jain announced.

The assembly proceeds with prayers, invoking a sense of spirituality and calm amidst the morning bustle.

All the prayers and national anthem get over within the next 30 minutes and we start heading back to the class.

Occasionally, a gentle reminder to "keep moving" or "stay in line" breaks the silence, maintaining the discipline of the procession.

I was walking while talking to Gaurika when a voice falls over my ear.

"Stop!" An unfamiliar voice said.

I turned around.

"Where's your ID card?" the unfamiliar voice asked.

I turned my head further to take a better look.

"PREFECT" was written in bold letters on the white colored badges adorned on his shirt pocket.

I looked up to see the face of the tall male figure in front of me.

Time seemed to slow as I took in his features - the way his eyes sparkled with a hint of superiority, the curve of his jawline, and the confident tilt of his head. It felt as though the entire world faded away, leaving only him and me in that moment.

My heart quickened its pace, and butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I tried to steady my breath. I couldn't hear the sentences he was uttering.

I felt a flush creep up my cheeks as I realized that I was staring, but I couldn't bring myself to look away.