Dukh ki baat

*SAMAIRA'S POV*

It's finally the month of May. This is the last month of school before summer vacations start. Normally, Greenwoods takes part in various inter school and national level competitions.

I don't want to take part in any competition this year because I don't think I can devote time to anything other than studies.

It's the first period today and we were reading the deep water lesson in English literature. While the teacher was explaining the struggles faces by Douglas to become an exceptional swimmer, Ritesh Sir entered the classroom with some sheets of paper in his hands.

"Dear students, the union of schools is organising Annual Academic Decathlon in New Era public school this year. We are selecting one student from each of the four sections who will be representing our school as teams of two." Ritesh Sir announced. Ritesh sir is our administrator. He is responsible for organising and taking the students for different competitions.

"From science PCMB, we have unanimously selected, Samaira Malhotra for this competition. Samaira has performed exceptionally well in all of our examinations and we're glad to have a student like her on board." Ritesh sir announced.

I stood up from my bench and walked out of the class following Ritesh sir.

"Sir...I don't think I can take part in this" I said.

"Beta but you're the best fit for this. Our school is really counting on you this year. We lost the Decathlon two years in a row and we cannot afford to lose this year" Ritesh sir said.

I reluctantly agreed to participate. It will only take a week.

"Beta go and sit in the auditorium, I am sending the person who will partner with you" Ritesh sir said.

I went inside the auditorium and patiently waited for my partner. After 15 minutes, Ritesh sir returned back with a boy with familiar stature.

I stood up to get a better look of his face and turns out, it's someone I least expected. WOW! It's none other than Neev Malhotra.

What else did I even expect? He's the top student in Humanities. We started exchanging competitive glances as if we are going to compete against each other.

"Sir but how is a science student and a humanities student supposed to be a team?" Neev asked.

"Beta the format of the program says that there's an open section and a commerce section. In the open section we have three subjects - Science, Humanities, General knowledge. I have selected you both to team up for the open section." Ritesh sir said.

"But sir ... I don't think we'll work well together." I said.

"Beta, no further arguments. You both are intelligent and mature enough to sort out your differences before the competition. I'll leave you both to make a basic strategy" Ritesh sir said.

"Mature...haah what a joke" Neev said as soon as Ritesh sir left.

"I don't expect maturity from you either" I said.

"Listen, let's just get over with this" Neev said.

"Yeah ... So kya strategy banani hai? Pehle Physics aur Chemistry kar lete hain?" I suggestion.

"Nahi ... Pehle Economics aur Politics kar lete hain, they're my strengths" Neev said.

"But my strengths are Physics and Chemistry. They're easy....I can understand you didn't study after tenth so it will be tough for you but I'll be glad to help" I said, painting myself as an expert in my subjects.