3.

[ Childhood & Trauma ]

(⚠️: suicide & self harm)

Essence • 18

              Next morning

Essence's pov:

My eyes fluttered open, I woke up in my bed but in a position I didn't remember putting myself in. When I tried to stand up my legs felt once again sore, this time I knew why.

"Woah take it easy." The reason for my soreness said floating over to my aid. "I got it." I replied waving her away, I indeed didn't. I sat back down unwillingly.

Nyx laughed. "I really did a number on you last night, I'm sorry I don't know what came over me." She apologized rubbing the back of her neck.

I smiled at the cute apologetic expression she gave. "It's cool, what were you doing in my room all this time?" I asked since she just appeared out of nowhere, I'm slowly getting used to her not giving me any privacy.

"Watching over you, you sleep so peacefully. You have a very low heart rate." She smiled creepily. Yeah I take back what I said about the privacy thing.

"Eh okay." I said awkwardly while reaching over to grab the bottle of water that was stationed on my nightstand. Before I could grab it Nyx swiftly flew by me snatching up the drink.

She passed it to me.

I took it out of her hand. "Thank you." I said bringing the bottle up to my mouth and taking a much needed sip of the beverage. "You don't get tired do you?" I rhetorically pointed out.

"Nah, I'm dead."

"Oh good, that means I could use you as a personal maid." I joked, Nyx side eyed me. "I don't think so." She said folding her arms and shaking her head like a child.

I laughed again. It crossed my mind that last night was our second time messing around and I still don't know anything about her. "What was your life like when you were alive? I mean I could probably just look up your obituary online-"

"How? I don't even remember my name."

"So your name isn't Nyx?"

"Nope, Nyx is just a name I gave myself." She smiled. Even though she was smiling I felt bed for her. Imagine not knowing who you are or who you once were.

"Well, do you remember anything about your past life?" I questioned.

Nyx thought for a moment. "I mean I do, but it's flashes I've collected throughout the years from being in this house." She answered, this must be her childhood home.

"Tell me what you remember."

"Okay, I had two parents in my life despite them not being the best, they gave me a pretty decent childhood. I was sheltered and homeschooled not by choice I wasn't exactly the child they wished for, especially since I came out with a male private part but female chromosomes. They thought the best solution would be to keep me away from society? I was getting older and I was tired of being in the house. I wanted to go to in person school like everyone else. My parents signed me up, they also warned me about my differences and how I wasn't like other girls and how I should be careful who I show myself to. I should've listened, I got too comfortable and somehow everybody found out about my genitalia, after that, I don't remember much. I just woke up in his basement... well um dead."