7 (pt 1)

[ Rejection & Reconnection ]

Essence • 18

the weekend | Essence's room |

Essence's pov:

The party was lame, it got shut down within a few minutes of me and Autumn being there. Not to mention, she ran off leaving me alone for most of the night.

Highlight of my night though was our kiss. Before, I wasn't really sure where me and her stood at but that kiss? It made it all clear to me. We had something going on!

"Hey, you enjoyed yourself last night?" Autumn's text message popped up on my phone. We didn't have much time to enjoy ourselves but I told her I did anyway.

I should probably mention the kiss we had to her too, just to see if we're on the same page. I saw a bubble appear with 3 dots dancing inside of it meaning she was typing. Once she seen I was typing too she stopped.

I still sent my message saying. "That kiss we had yesterday was amazing, I honestly didn't expect it coming from you but it got me feeling some things." I sat my phone down and bit my nails, you know that feeling when you send a risky text for the first time? yea that's how I felt.

The silent in the room was dreading til I heard my phone ding. I was anxious to even pick it up but once I unlocked it and read the message, my heart dropped.

"Kiss? I don't remember that, I must of been too drunk lol." I stared at her message, I regret even bringing it up. I should have known she didn't see me like that.

The hairs on my arm stood up, I knew Nyx was close by. Somehow my body got better at sensing her. "I know your there." I shut off my phone and looked to my right. She switched forms revealing herself.

"Sorry.." She started floating away but I didn't want her to leave, I didn't want to be alone with my own thoughts. "Wait." I called her back, Nyx turned around raising an eyebrow.

"I want to teach you some things." I admitted. I patted a spot on my bed and she sat down. If Nyx really been dead for over 20 years I doubt she knows things of this generation.

"You know what TikTok is?" I asked.

"What the fuck is that?"

"An app."

"About clocks?"

"No- you know what let me not get into that right now." I gave her my phone, she stared at it then started bending it. I quickly snatched it out of her hands.

"Aye no, what the fuck are you doing?"

"Is that not a flip phone? It's supposed to flip."

"No! Just watch what I do." I started swiping through apps and showing her the basics of an smartphone. I opened instagram showing her and explaining what exactly social media was like today. She was astonished.

"This is way better than MySpace."

I opened my gallery showing her pictures of me, even some of my mother. She looked at my mother weirdly. "Hm, you look just like her." Nyx commented.

"I know..."My voice was soft, I started to feel saddened looking at my mom. "Hey, don't cry?" Nyx turned my face. I didn't realize my eyes were getting glossy.

"I wish I could hug you right now..." She frowned, I didn't like how I just ruined the moment. "Tell me about that party you went to yesterday." Nyx said changing the subject.

"Oh yea, it was boring. The policed showed up right when we got there. Autumn left me stranded by the drinks to go talk to some girl." I told. I did see Autumn wondering off to go talk to someone, but I didn't mention it to her, because it really wasn't any of my business.

Also, I wasn't going to tell Nyx about the kiss me and Autumn shared since it was meaningless.

"Zoe Morgan? Morgan?..."

"Huh?" I looked over at Nyx who was chanting something.

"Va..Va.. Vanessa Morgan!" She shouted.

I looked at her confused. "Who is that?"

"My ex girlfriend." She answered. I was confused on why she brought her up. "Why you thinking about her?" I said with an attitude, I might've sounded jealous in the moment.

"Uhh, she just came to mind." She answered.

"Are you gaining your memories back?" I jumped up starting to get excited. She nodded her head. "Something like that, I still don't know how I died..."

"Don't worry about that right now." I unlocked my phone. "Let's find out what your ex girlfriend been up to." I opened Safari and typed "Vanessa Morgan" into the search bar.

"Wait you can do that?"

"Hell yea! Technology is so much better now... and scarier. You can find out where somebody lives just by searching up their name." I explained leaving Nyx stunned.

I clicked into people finder. I searched the area we lived at, and only a few Vanessa Morgan's came up, but only one was in their late 30s. Which would be a pretty accurate age range for Nyx if she was still alive too.

"Ouu looks like she has an instagram too!" I clicked into the link to her profile. She looks so beautiful in her profile picture even for the age that she was at. "Let me see!"

Nyx snatched the phone out of my hand. She scrolled through the woman's page. The way Nyx looked at her, made me feel some type of way and I didn't know why. "Okay can I have my phone back now-"

"Wait."

She cut me off, looking closely into one of Vanessa's pictures. "You know you can click on it and make it bigger?" Nyx did just that getting a better look at the picture. In the picture, Vanessa was standing in front of a house.

"That was her parent's house. Do you think she still lives there?" Nyx questioned turning towards me. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Isn't there a way you could find out?"

"I could but I want my phone back now." I snatched it back out of her hands. I wasn't about to help her reconnect with her first love.

Fuck I look like?

"Why are you being like that? Why won't you help me?" Nyx stood up, she looked at me angrily.

"How will seeing her help you?" I didn't realize how dumb I sounded in the moment. "Because maybe seeing someone from my past, will help me regain my memories." Nyx explained starting to get excited at the idea of finding out who she truly was. I started to feel bad for acting the way I did.

"Okay well anything to help you." I said handing her back my phone.

The 🔚.