𝟢𝟢𝟥,𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

As Janson asked, she shows up in the same room the next day. She didn't do much about the guard she killed. Tried to get inside the room, but realized she needs another card to get in there.

She killed him for nothing. But he's bad. He works for WCKD. So... does it really matter that much?

"How're you feeling?" He asks as if they're in a therapy session. "Did you take my advice?"

"To kill what fears me?"

He nods.

"Oh, yes." The corners of her lips curve up. "I did. Killed it."

"Happen to know anything about my colleague's sudden death?" Janson's head tilts to the side in suspicion. "Did you take my advice too literally?"

"Maybe a bit. But you don't seem to care much. Neither do I. So it can't be a big problem."

He stares at her for a while. Straightening his back, he sighs.

"What are you doing to Gally?" She asks. "Where is he?"

"He's fine."

"Where did my connection with him go?"

"Don't worry about that."

In a second, she gets up. So roughly that her chair falls over. Her hands slam against the table. "You said you'd answer all my questions as long as I didn't tell anyone about you being WCKD! Answer me!"

"Yes. I said I'd answer all your questions as long as you didn't tell anyone about us being WCKD. That's exactly what I said." Janson rubs his chin. Shrugs. "So once you tell people we're WCKD, I no longer have to answer your questions."

"I didn't tell anyone—"

"You told both my now dead guard and Gally. Don't lie," he says. "A deal was a deal. Now it's over."

If there's no other consequences than that, she'll be able to live with it.

But she messed up. Again.

"Where is he?" She demands again. "I'll kill you, too. Tell me where he is."

"Go to your room, Joan."

Her hand trails down to her knife, but she doesn't take it yet. "No. You said you wanted to talk. At least tell me what you wanted to talk about."

"Go to your room," he repeats calmly. "If you kill me, things really won't become easier."

Something about the way he speaks convinces her. And she knows he does take her seriously. Or well... he knows she would actually kill him, unlike the guard knew.

But she doesn't want more blood on her hands. It feels so good but so wrong and it overwhelms her so much that she wishes to be comforted but some of the Gladers still seem to feel betrayed by her and Gally is gone now and she has no idea what's happening to him and where he is and—

***

Hey, Thomas. And the other Gladers. But I've sent this for Thomas to read it and then decide what he tells the others because I feel like he'll understand the best.

So hey.

Don't mind my shitty handwriting right now, I'm kind of upset. I figured out what they're doing with the kids they take away. I overheard them. They want to take me tomorrow, but I'm not going. They planned to drain Gally with wires like that too. They have drained him, in fact, but only for a day.

I saved him yesterday. He was half awake as I dragged him through the vents, all the way outside this place. And I left him with a letter similar to this one. He's safe.

I planned to come save y'all, but I didn't have time. If I showed up today, they would've taken me. But what I wanted to tell you, Thomas, is that this is still WCKD. You have to escape. Help as many people as you want.

Don't worry about me. I'll be escaping right when they call my name. I had to choose between sending you this letter or going with Gally. For your sake, and to prove I'm really on your side, I chose to send this.

So escape them before it's too late. I'm sure we'll meet later on. I've packed everything I need. I'll figure out a way to stop them.

See ya. Make sure they're safe.