𝟢𝟣𝟪,𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐬

They ran back to Lawrence's place so hard that they're out of breath by the time they arrive. And the panic in every single one of them doesn't make it any better— they're somewhat hyperventilating when they lie her down on the wooden table.

"How do we fix this?"

"We won't be able to do much about the blood loss," Vince says. "But clean those wounds up."

Her wrists are bruised. Blood is leaking from a wound on her head. There's a cut in her lip. Blood is streaming out of little holes in her arms, too. The Cranks clearly didn't care or bother to watch out if they even took the girl's blood out of a vein and if they were doing it carefully.

"What the hell did they do?" Crying out, Brenda cups the side of Joan's face, then runs a warm towel over it.

"That... she'll have to explain once she wakes up," Vince sighs. "But these bruises and wounds are clearly from punches. And this here, on her side and leg? That was a knife. And as you see, lots of needles."

"She'll survive, right?"

Slowly, he nods. "She's strong. And smart. I saved the recipe of a healing serum she made when she was ten. Got it right here." With a small grin, Vince holds a jar up.

***

"Then Gally shot them all, which was insane, and then we took Joan, and left," Frypan finishes.

They receive a few shocked faces.

Gally grits his teeth together. "I don't even know why I'm helping you at this point, Thomas. You barely seem to care. And so do you, Newt. Only caring when it's too late."

"Not everyone gets along—"

"What would Minho have done, hm? What would Camil think of the way you're treating her?"

At that, they fall silent, and it says enough.

"That whole misleading thing was ages ago. She did that because she thought it was right. And partly, she was. If it weren't for the Doors not closing, it was saver in the Glade than anywhere else."

"It's not like you like Teresa."

"Because she betrayed us, or well, you to WCKD. Joan literally wrote you a letter, telling you to escape! She saved me. What did she do that makes you hate her so much? Hm?"

"I get that it's wrong to hide the exit of the Maze for a year long," Fry adds, "but come on guys, she's our friend."

"And family," Vince adds.

"Yeah. We know by now that you're her father, Vince. No need—"

"And you're her cousin."

Thomas stares at him as if he just saw a ghost, blinking. "What?"

"Your mother is her mother's sister."

"I don't— what?"

Vince sighs. "Cousin. Your father is her uncle! I'm your uncle. Same genes."

"Yeah, I know what a cousin is, but—"

"Awesome, then," Vince interrupts. "So forgive her. Go ahead."