𝟢𝟢𝟩,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐞

About three months later, she comes running toward Jasper, ignoring the looks of all the other people they by now collected in the hotel.

"I got it," she tells him. Her words spill out so fast at that she has trouble breathing. "It's Thomas— my friend— cousin. His blood— we can cure everyone if we get his blood. Not just heal them temporarily."

He looks up with a frown. "Slow down, kid."

"I thought I cured myself, but I didn't. I got a dream. In the serum I made was both his and my blood! But it's his that actually cures. It didn't work on Ben because he got stung, not infected. So we need to get Thomas— wherever the hell he is."

For a few more seconds, he stares at her. "I have no idea who Ben is, but alright. That could make sense. Do you have a plan?"

"Kidnap."

"Yeah, no. Might not be the best idea. Wow, my cousin kidnapped me!"

"We could literally put some candy down on the ground and he'd fall straight in the trap," she adds. "Except I have no idea where he is."

"Send Res at it or something. Oh, also— we've killed hundreds of employees these months."

Though it is what she wanted, her stomach does a twist. "But you did tell them to either die or start working for us, right?"

"Yeah. We only killed the ones who didn't want to help."

"Okay, good."

"Ford's working as a spy, you know?"

At this point, she doesn't even know everyone who's working for them. It uneases her to know they might betray her, but she trusts Jasper with it at the same time. He seems to have no problem with killing, just like her— although she is convinced she won't be able to kill an innocent.

"Have we gotten any information yet?"

He shakes his head. "Nothing special. Just methods they're using for the cure."

"I thought doctors were smart."

"Well, how are you gonna get those cures, though? Suck all the blood out of that boy's body?"

"By the time we have him, half of the older generation is dead, Jasper. We've called all the non immunes. And the immunes can give temporarily cures. Wait, you know what? That's a great system! Do something good, or prove yourself, or be loyal, and you get the actual cure. If not, you get the temporarily one."

He tilts his head to the side. "Smart... now come on, there will be another train to rob."

***

It's been five months since she arrived here. Almost all the hotel rooms are filled with cured Cranks. She doesn't have to go hunt all alone anymore— there's others who do that. She doesn't have to make all the weapons. Doesn't have to kill on her own. Doesn't have to stalk WCKD on her own, or rob.

The only things she does alone, is interfering with the Gladers. Trying to catch information about them. Where they are, what they're doing, if anyone saw them...

Along with that, she uses who knows how many syringes everyday to take her own blood. After all, she promised to keep all of them human.

"Take it easy," a man she's sure also worked for WCKD says. "Taking that much blood out of your own body can lead to danger."

"Oh, yeah. You know that because you used to work for a company that takes blood from innocent kids, who are also in danger. Did you care back then? No."

"And now I work for you, which sounds ridiculous to my own ears, and I do care."

"Good," she replies, and presses a tissue to her arm. It's not exactly the nicest thing to take your own blood with a needle everyday, but she has gotten used to it. "Now go help the others hunt. I don't need you watching me."

"Let me help."

"No. Leave."

"I—"

"Leave." She stands up. Looks down at him. "You don't want to turn into a Crank again, do you? Fuck off."

With his hands besides his head, he eventually drapes off.