𝟢𝟥𝟢,𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧

The pills help.

Sort of.

Well, not really. She just doesn't wake up screaming if she takes the pills.

Gally suggested moving from a hammock to a big mattress on which they could both sleep as long as their house isn't done, but she only keeps him awake with her kicks and movements through the night.

Does mean he is there when she wakes up, afraid.

"I'll get the best mattress ever," he's whispering softly. "We'll get a good bed. We'll get a TV so there's background noise, and you won't think you're alone. We'll get better pills. And we'll take it easy."

She nods, eyes closed against his shoulder. "Thank you. And I'm sorry for keeping you up again—"

"Don't apologize," he cuts her off. "I don't mind staying awake, Joan. Just want you to catch as much sleep as you can."

A sigh leaves her mouth. "Hasn't really been working out the two months we've been here."

The shame in her voice isn't unnoticeable. "If it helps, Thomas has dreams, too. And Camil told you he has plenty. I'm sure Minho doesn't sleep well every night. To be honest, I think no one here always sleeps peacefully like we did back in the Glade. Though Chuck has been here for over six months, so he might've gotten over most things."

She nods. That kind of eases her. Of course she doesn't wish for them to have bad dreams, but it's nice to know she's not alone. "And you? Do you sleep well, had it not been for me?"

"I wouldn't have much people to worry about, had it not been for you."

"So you do get bad dreams?" She wonders slowly.

"Not often." He smiles a small smile. "One benefit, your cries do wake me and make me realize I didn't lose you, and it was really just a dream."

Her heart melts. Eyes nearly start watering at that. In fact, they start watering. "You've got to stop saying stuff like that all the time."

He chuckles. "Hopefully that won't make you ask the thing you asked a few days ago."

("Do you still love me?"
"We're literally dating, woman.")

"Can't your boyfriend build me a house, too?"

"He's busy building me a gigantic one, Camil. Find your own boyfriend. Or girlfriend. I don't know."

He rolls his eyes. "I'll think about it. Aren't you supposed to help?"

"I have. He forced me away when I dropped the bucket with paint. On him. And the wall. But I was helping very well before that! Dad can confirm."

In the two months of being in the Safe Haven, she has tried to spend as much time with Vince as she can, and they got pretty close, though he's often busy with leading the Safe Haven around.

"Yeah, sure." He laughs. "To be honest, I want to live in a small, cozy house."

"My big house will be cozy, too. There's just gonna be a lot of guest rooms."

"Huh, I thought they were for kids?"

"Who told you that?"

"Basically everyone. It's not a weird idea!"

She buries her head in her hands. "I'm not even twenty yet. I'm not gonna start a whole damn family before I've gotten rid of my sleeping habits. I'm not gonna poop a whole fucking human out of my—"

"We understand, Joan." Fry has to stop himself from chuckling. "We wouldn't want to go through that either."

"Exactly."

"Maybe adopt one," Teresa suggests.

Joan stares at her for a while, thoughtful, then gasps. "Oh my god, Teresa, you are absolutely amazing! Where is Chuck?" She looks at Camil. "Do you think I can adopt Chuck? He would be fine with it if I promise he can eat candy and play games all day."

"Yeah, I'm just not very sure if your man is gonna be okay with that. Or okay with Chuck in his house at all."

"Gally likes Chuck! And Chuck loves Gally. They're really nice to each other."

"Chuck threw a bucket of water onto Gally the other day, which made Gally throw the damn kid into the sea. Gently and knowingly Chuck can swim, but still!"

"It wasn't very gently, though," Fry adds.

"Oh, that's why he was drenched in water!" She realizes. "Gally told me he went swimming."

Teresa laughs at that, and the other follow.

"No, but seriously, can I adopt Chuck? Maybe not let him live with two eighteen year olds until we're in our twenties, but you know."

"I guess it's possible. No government here. Just your father."

"Oh, yes. He'll help me."

"I don't think he's gonna like the idea of you adopting a kid as reckless as you."

"I'll make him like it."