𝟢𝟤𝟪,𝐰𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐮𝐩 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭

When her eyes open, she nearly gets blinded by a light.

So she closes again, groaning.

And then she opens them again.

But the light is too bright, so she's forced to close them a second time.

Just like that, it goes on and on.

𓆙

It feels like it has been forever since the first time her eyes opened. Now she is finally able to look without pain, so she takes the immediate opportunity to sit straight up.

She's in a hut that reminds her of Gally's hut back in the Glade. As boring, but with more medical things. And next to the bed she's on, stands a chair.

He's on the chair, asleep.

With his eyes closed and soft breaths leaving his mouth, he's really just a teenage boy who's done nothing wrong.

She finds herself staring for longer than she wanted. When she catches herself, it's too late; his eyes have opened, too.

"Joan?!" His back straightens fast, eyes wide. "Oh my God— you're awake! Finally— how are you feeling?"

"I think I'm good—"

"Wait, no. I'm angry," he interrupts. "I'm angry at you." His expression does change a bit. "What the hell? You stabbed yourself! You could've died! You died! Or well, the clone, but still—"

She gasps as the memories come back. "So it worked? I'm back in my own body and it was a clone the whole time?"

"Yes, but that stab—"

"Ha, it worked!" She somewhat starts laughing.

He stares at her with an absurd face, frowning. "It's not funny, Joan! Serious things happened, you apparently were a clone— I showered with a clone, I operated a clone, I did things with a freaking clone—"

"At least my mentality was there."

"Your mentality never really was anywhere."

"Oh!" She gasps another time. "Rude!"

He purses his lips together. "Yes! I'm still angry. I'll stand my ground. And nothing will work this time."

"And for how long will you stay angry?"

He ignores her question because of the urge to ask one himself, "Just tell me how you're feeling."

She only now realizes she feels quite good. Her body doesn't hurt from any needles and even though she senses she's weak, she feels... better. More like herself.

"Good," she replies. "I feel good. And you know what? You have no right to be angry. I got a plan, I handled, and it worked."

He mumbles something she can't understand.

"And guess what else? I was right. As always. It worked, as always."

He rolls his eyes.

"You know what else?"

He groans.

"Gally?" She urges, looking down at her shirt. It's so big that it reveals one of her shoulders. "You know what else?"