𝟢𝟣𝟩,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

Just like it takes the two boys a while to get used to the dark, it takes the Cranks a while to get used to the bright light that just shined in.

"Where is she?" Gally grabs the first person he sees by the collar, pressing his gun to their head. "Hm?"

But instead of answering, the man starts laughing. Throws his head back, a terrible, screeching sound escaping from his mouth, which has smudges of blood around it. "Little girl doesn't know how to keep promises."

Grunting, Gally slams the man against the wall, and moves to the next Crank as he gives Fry a sign to start looking. "Where?"

"Right here!" The woman laughs, too. "On the floor, in the walls, on the chair, on the bed, on my skin, in my body!"

His breaths heave. A quick look around says enough– there's blood. On the floor, on the walls, on the chair, on the woman's skin... but he doesn't see a bed. Yet.

A faint light in the distance catches his attention. Below it, stand dozens of Cranks. Such a big crowd that he has trouble pushing himself through it.

The many laughs drive him crazy. Fry's petrified expression scares him. Whatever's going on below that lamp scares him.

"What are you doing?" He decides to ask a third Crank.

Just like the others, it laughs. "Little girl promised to keep us alive and human with her pretty, red blood. But little girl's unconscious, so we have to do the job ourselves. Little girl's healing us."

"But little girl broke her promises," another man says, grinning. "So we may take her life as well as her blood. We don't obey, she kills us. She doesn't keep us alive and human? We won't keep her alive!"

A shatter of laughs bursts out in the room, and he loses it. Pushes every single one of them away, only to get one single glance at what's below the lamp. Once it hits him–actually hits him–the gunshots start, and they don't stop until every single laugh has ebbed away, and until he has also taken Fry's gun.

He rips the things he doesn't know the name of off her temples. Lifts her off the bed, her body so lightweight that it explains the woman's words.

"Let's go." He pulls Fry's arm, rushing back into the elevator. Slowly, the doors close, and they watch the dead bodies of the Cranks fade away.