18th birthday

Age: 18

------

"Anastasia Belova Romanoff-Rogers - holy shit I forgot how much of a mouthful your name was - I can't believe you!"

"Mary-Jane, you'd better shut it before I come to your house and steal your phone!" I warned jokingly.

"You wouldn't dare," MJ laughed.

"Oh believe me, I would!"

"Nope!"

"Yep!"

"Absolutely not!"

"Absolutely yes!"

"Oh my god Ana, shhhh!"

I fell quiet. Did I forget to mention it was 11pm?

"Alright, safe," MJ's voice came down the phone.

I giggled.

"Y'know, I might get some sleep," I told her.

"If you were tired we could've ended the call earlier?" MJ told me.

"It's okay, I'm not really that tired, but I do need to sleep," I replied.

"Damn right you do."

I jumped, not expecting to hear a voice beside me. My head shot around to see mom stood beside the bed, and I could make out her smirk from the dim lights around my headboard.

"Oh, hey mom," I greeted awkwardly.

"Hey Mrs Romanoff," MJ greeted down the phone.

Mom did nothing but smile. I knew she was waiting for me to end the call and she wanted to talk to me, so I said goodbye to MJ, told her I loved her, and hung up. Mom sat on the edge of my bed.

"It's your birthday tomorrow, you're gonna be exhausted if you don't get some sleep," she told me softly.

Hey, at least she isn't mad. Well, I don't think she is.

"Mom, I'm 17, I'll be fine!" I protested with a small laugh.

"And you're still my baby until you're old enough to drink," mom replied, wrapping her arms around me.

We hugged in silence for a few moments, until my mom commented, "You're growing up so fast."

"Aren't we both," I replied with a smile. "And dad."

"Oh he's already ancient," mom chuckled. "He isn't getting any older, he's stuck at 100 and whatever."

I laughed.

"I remember when I first held you, you were tiny," mom told me as I squirmed out of the hug.

"And I suppose I'm not much bigger now," I replied jokingly.

"Mmm..." she looked at me and thought. "Not really."

I smiled and felt a wave of exhaustion suddenly wash over me. My ex-assassin mother noticed this immediately - of course she did.

"Go to sleep," she ordered.

"I will," I replied with a laugh and a yawn

"See you in the morning дорогая." (sweetheart)

My mom kissed my forehead gently then left the room, leaving me to slump onto my pillow happily. Here's to my last night as a 17 year old.

------

Natasha

My daughter's 18th birthday was a big deal to me. Although she was still my baby - which I'd made very clear to her last night - I knew she was going to be an independent young woman all too soon.