First word

A/n

Oneshot from Natasha's POV

------------------------------------------------------------------

Age: 1

------

For the first 12 months of my daughter's life, she'd been a loud baby. Throwing tantrums whenever she didn't get what she wanted. From the age of a few months, she'd realised that she could indeed babble, and me and Steve had ceaselessly had to listen to her.

"Hellooooo is anyone home?"

My gaze diverted from Ana crawling about on the rug to the door. There was another knock on the door so I sighed and went over. Opening the door, Kate was stood outside.

"Hey Nat!" she greeted.

I nodded and smiled, then noticed Yelena walking towards us, multiple bags in her hands.

"Right, I've got diapers, toys, a new bottle and some stuff for you and Steve," Yelena reeled off, forgetting to even say 'hi'.

I chuckled.

"You want me to take some of those bags from you?" I asked.

"No no, I'm-"

As she replied, she almost dropped a heavy looking bag. Kate was quick to snatch the bag from my sister.

"Hey, I said I was okay!" Yelena protested.

"I mean you're clearly not," Kate replied.

"Cyka," Yelena muttered under her breath as I let them both in.

I glanced over at the rug. Steve was sat with Anastasia on the rug - an Anastasia who looked excited. She clapped her small hands and let out excited squeals.

"Ah there's my favourite niece!" Yelena cried, putting the bags down and going over.

"She's your only niece," I pointed out as Yelena picked up Ana.

"Just because she's my only niece doesn't mean she isn't allowed to be my favourite!" Yelena responded, turning back to me.

I smirked and helped Kate take the bags into the kitchen. We began to put the contents of the bags away, talking whilst doing so.

"Has she spoken yet?" Kate asked.

"She's been speaking since she realised vocal chords existed," I chuckled, putting a bottle of wine in the fridge.

"Noisy kid, huh?"

"Yep."

Kate searched through one of the bags and pulled out a baby onesie.

"Got this for her," she said, producing it in front of me.

I took it with a grateful smile.

"Thankyou so much," I thanked.

"Hey, don't worry!" Kate replied.

"No, you've helped out so much this past year. What with me and Steve moving out of the compound and not being able to go on missions as much as we'd have liked, you and 'Lena have helped us both so much."

Kate smiled softly.

"I knew you'd do anything for Ana, and I'd guess even parents need looking after sometimes," she said.

------

A few hours later, everyone was in the lounge. Yelena and Kate were sat on one sofa, whilst me and Steve were on another. Anastasia was playing with blocks on the floor.

"So, I said to him 'If you're going to act like you run the place, how about you fire me huh?' and the guy was like 'no but I can get the boss to fire you' so I w-"

Yelena was cut off by a sudden wailing from Ana. She looked at me, her green eyes wide.

"Carry on, I'll go make her something to eat," I said, standing up.

I picked Ana up and took her into the kitchen.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, taking one of her tiny hands.

Ana continued crying, so I held her on my hip.

"Let's make you something to eat," I told her, kissing her head gently.

I placed her on the counter - a wide part so she wouldn't fall off - and grabbed a banana. I put it in a small bowl and began to mash it up. I honestly hated the look of mashed banana, it looked like vomit, but if Ana likes it, I was going to have to keep making it for her. I got a plastic spoon and scooped a bit out, then held the spoon to her lips.

"Look, banana!"

Ana opened her mouth and took the mashed banana. She was beginning to quieten down so I continued feeding her. She ate it hungrily until she shook her head and pushed my hand away.

I smiled as I put the bowl down.

"Full now?" I asked, taking her back into the living room.

"I assume she's full up then," Steve chuckled, seeing a now subdued Anastasia in my arms.

I nodded with a smile, sitting down with Ana in my lap. I noticed Yelena wouldn't stop staring at Ana. I looked down and saw her opening and closing her mouth, then a few sounds came out.

"Mammy!"

A stunned silence fell on the room.

"Did she just-?" Kate asked in disbelief.

"I think she did," Yelena replied whilst nodding slowly.

"Her first word," I whispered, looking at Steve, my eyes wide.

He was smiling, clearly over the moon.

"Oh sweetheart, you can say 'mammy' now huh?" I asked her, smiling.

"Mammy!" Anastasia repeated.

"Yeah!"

Ana giggled, bouncing around in my lap.

"Well done sweetie," my boyfriend cheered, taking Anastasia and holding her in front of him.

Ana was grinning lopsidedly. Yelena came over and ticked her underarms so she squirmed and squealed.

"Mammy mammy!" she cried as Yelena kept tickling my daughter.

I felt so much joy hearing my daughter form her first word. Steve let Yelena take Ana and her and Kate began playing with her. I moved closer to Steve and placed my head on his chest, saying quietly, "I think we're doing okay."

"We are doing okay."