Little Spark in detention

Age: 14

---⧗---

I wasn't ever the type of girl to purposefully get into trouble. Like, trouble in school, anyway. Being in high school was pretty scary - being the youngest again - so generally I just kept my head down and did my work.

That was until today.

I decided that I was done with my maths teacher. Her banging on about x and y and "find the value of this, find the value of that" was really getting on my nerves. Really getting on my nerves.

"If the value of x is 6, what is the value of y when x is 2.5 times the value of y?" the teacher asked, looking around the classroom.

At the time, I was lolled in my chair at the back of the classroom, pen in hand drawing on the desk. Quite a few of the other students had their hands up, but I rolled my eyes as I noticed the teacher's own eyes fix on me.

"Anastasia, you've been quiet today. What's the answer?"

I shrugged. I really could not be bothered with this.

"Any idea of how to solve it?"

"Nope, not a clue," I replied.

"Check your exercise book. You have the method written down there. Assuming you did copy it down?"

My teacher's eyebrow was cocked. I glanced down at my book - to which all I had written down on that particular date was the date and a few mindless doodles.

"Yeah sure, uhm, maybe ask the other..."

I quickly counted the amount of students who had their hands up still.

"13 students who actually know the answer to answer?" I suggested calmly.

I saw the teacher's face set in a frustrated look.

"I asked you Anastasia."

"Okay?" I asked rudely. "If I knew the answer, I'd put my fucking hand up."

Now my teacher was pissed.

"Go stand outside the classroom."

I scoffed and stood up.

"I'd happily leave for good," I commented as I walked towards the door.

"You know what Ana?" my teacher snapped.

I felt a surge of energy as I turned to face her, hoping she'd kick me out of the classroom.

"You can leave," she started.

I smirked, until she continued, "You can go sit in the principal's office and you'll have after-school detention."

My face fell.

"What?" the teacher asked, a smug tone hinted in her voice. "You wanted to leave the class. I've given you what you wanted."

I glared at her as I went to grab my bag. I slammed my exercise book shut and stormed out, slamming the door on the way out.

"Tell the principal exactly why you're there Anastasia! Don't forget the swearing!" my maths teacher shouted after me.

"Fuck you!" I yelled as I walked down the corridor: fuming.

Detention? Was she fucking kidding me? I walked to the principal's office and reluctantly rapped on the door.

"Come in!"

I opened the door and saw the principal talking to my religious education teacher.

"What's up Anastasia?" the principal asked, somehow immediately knowing who I was.