Chapter 19

Without looking back, you climbed into the car and let out a deep sigh of relief as the driver closed the door. Through the window, you watched Hawks as the car pulled away from the curb. Your chest felt impossibly tight, your stomach twisted and turned, threatening to rob you of your stupidly expensive dinner. It tore at your heart to leave him, especially this early into your date, but you just weren't up for it. You wanted to go home, get changed, and do something, anything to calm yourself down.

Of all the places for that asshole to show up, it had to be during your first real date with Hawks. And it had been going so well; he seemed to be opening up, finally allowing you to get closer. Almost like he'd finally accepted the program. Hell, he'd practically begged you to come back to his apartment, an opportunity you had surprisingly passed up because of Kuro. He'd ruined your entire fucking night with only one sentence.

You let out a loud sigh, clenching your fists as you watched the buildings pass by. You were so close to giving the Commission what they wanted. You weren't naive; you'd seen exactly how that dress had affected him when he first saw you. But this time, you had the common sense not to draw attention to it. You could've easily let him take you home, initiating the process the Commission desired. It would've been easy, it could've been so easy.

Now you had bigger problems, particularly with Kuro knowing your whereabouts. You hadn't seen him since you'd left their house, but you knew this could possibly end badly for everyone involved. You didn't have all the details, but you'd been with him and his family long enough to know they owned far more than just the upper east side. They weren't good people, and their business was shady at best. Kuro had never let you into that side of things; you had mostly been kept out of it. You were something to look at, nothing more than a decoration, meant to be seen and not heard. However, you heard the whispers of the staff and saw things that Kuro got too lazy to hide. Moreover, Kuro had a horrendous jealous streak, and you'd lost count of the number of men he'd injured just for looking at you. If he decided he wanted you back, he'd stop at nothing to make it happen. Both you and Hawks could be in serious danger if it escalated to that point.

The drive back to your apartment felt surprisingly short compared to the journey to the restaurant. You thanked the driver and headed straight inside, locking the door behind you. With a relieved sigh, you realized that now you could change and get comfortable. It was still early enough to start another painting, and that's exactly what you had in mind.

Without delay, you swapped your attire for painting clothes, not bothering to remove your makeup just yet. You prepared your living room and took out your last canvas. The aroma of paint quickly filled the air, and you inhaled deeply before immersing yourself in your creative process.

You didn't start with a specific idea in mind, instead letting your thoughts go blank. Before you knew it, you were completely absorbed in your work, and the brush seemed to move of its own accord. Time seemed to slip away as you painted, and when you finally took a step back to examine your creation, you couldn't help but marvel at the scene you'd depicted.

The scene was set in vibrant colors that blended softly into each other. The gouache paints giving the painting this eye-catching quality. It took you just a moment to realize you'd painted the exterior of the restaurant from your date. The night sky was dark, adorned with yellow and white dots representing the stars. You'd even managed to make the restaurant's sign look like it was glowing, and the windows radiated warmth from the light shining through them. However, as you examined your work, a frown crept onto your face. Something felt like it was still missing.

You furrowed your brow, tilted your head, and stuck your tongue out in concentration as you tried to identify the missing element. It didn't take long before you dipped your brush back into the paint. A few more minutes, and you added the finishing touch, smiling softly to yourself as you set your brush down. The figures you painted were more like people-shaped blobs, but they somehow complemented the painting's aesthetic.