Chapter 36

You clicked the bedroom door shut softly, resting your head against it with a soft sigh. Thankfully, Keigo hadn't even stirred when you'd moved him onto his own pillow, replacing your body with the pillow from your side of the bed. He had latched onto it quickly, emitting a soft cooing sound as he cuddled against it. If you hadn't been so concerned about him, you might have been tempted to take a picture.

You turned, walking quietly back into the living room where Haruki was waiting. Her hand covered her mouth, her leg bouncing anxiously as she stared off into space. Her concern over everything was obvious in her posture, and you suddenly felt bad for dragging her into it.

"I'm sorry for calling," you said softly, drawing her attention to you. "I just didn't know what else to do."

"No, this isn't your fault, and you can always call me," she said softly before throwing her head back and letting out a sigh. "Come sit and tell me everything that happened."

You sighed, sitting down on the sofa and drawing in a deep breath. You recounted everything that had happened to her, starting with him at the doorstep. She listened, nodding every so often until you finished the story with you calling her.

"Massaging his hands seemed to help," you said softly, trying to blink back your tears. "But I don't understand what happened. Did he make a mistake at the landslide, and a child died? Why was he stuttering like that? I've never heard him do that before, not that badly, at least."

Haruki nibbled her lip before taking a deep breath herself. "I'm going to tell you a few things that I'm sure would get me in trouble, but at this point, you have the right to know," she said firmly before taking a deep breath and starting her story.

"I've known Hawks since he was eighteen; I don't really know much about his life before that. He gave me a chance when I needed one the most, hiring me just six months after giving birth to Chiyo. I was desperate; we needed the money, and he didn't hesitate to hire me despite the fact I had a baby at home. He said he could just tell I was nice, that I would be a really good fit. I honestly just think he needed some kindness in his life." She smiled softly before continuing, "It was one of his first calls out; a villain had snatched a little girl. She was six, scared and screaming as he dangled her off the roof of the building."

You watched, sickness turning your gut as tears started to slip down Haruki's cheek as she looked down at her hands. "He was so fresh, so new. He never thought that the sight of him approaching would be enough for that sick motherfucker to actually drop her. He was literally seconds too late to save her. He took it hard," She sniffled, her hands clenching tightly. "He came back to the agency; everyone else had already gone for the night, and I was just about to leave myself when I saw him walking the hallways. Something was off about him, you know? He's normally so happy, but his wings were drooped, his eyes so unfocused and empty. I called out to him, and he nearly jumped out of his skin, rushing off to hide in a coat closet."

"I rushed in after him, of course," She continued, chuckling slightly. "Motherly instincts, I guess, but nothing could've prepared me for what I found. He was sobbing, clutching onto a broom handle so tightly I thought he was going to splinter the wood. I asked him what happened, and he was stuttering so badly it was a wonder I understood anything he was saying at all. I finally got him to sit, and we sat in the closet for almost two hours as I massaged his hands and held him until he finally told me about everything." She looked up at you, her eyes blazing with anger. "He's had a stutter since he was a child. The Commission literally beat him out of it-"

"What the hell do you mean they beat him out of it?" You asked angrily, and she just gave you a sad smile in return.

"Exactly what you think I mean. Every time he stuttered, he was punished. I don't have the full background on Hawks' training and time in the Commission, but he was scared for me to even know that. I can't imagine whatever else they did to him during his time there. Just like the bird traits they tried so hard to get rid of, he can't help them. It's just part of his quirk. It just really pisses me off.." she nearly spat, clenching her fists.