Chapter 29

You sighed, listening to his footsteps quickly retreating towards the bedroom before hearing the door shut and the sound of the lock being turned. You let out a sigh, moving towards the shower and swiftly turning on the warm water as you tried to process everything that had just happened. What the hell had even possessed you to walk into the bathroom like that? You knew he was showering. You could hear the water from outside the door, yet you'd still walked right in, listening to your impulsive thoughts completely.

You sighed, shedding your clothes before stepping into the shower. You rested your head against the tiles, trying to figure out the answer. Deep down, you wondered if you were subconsciously testing him—trying to see if he'd snap or change at all depending on your actions. After all, the last person who'd taken you in, who had said they would protect you, had done nothing but hurt you the entire time you were together. You had been abused, though it had taken you a while to come to terms with that fact. He'd never hit you, but the way he talked to you, manipulated you, it was undeniable once you got away from it. You were a victim, and you had no desire to ever put yourself in that position again.

But this seemed to be different so far. Hawks—no, Keigo—had saved you from being forced back to Kuro. He had taken you home, offered you protection, had basically freed you from your deal with the Commission, and told you that he was going to help you get your daughter back. But what had surprised you most was the look on his face when he told you that you didn't have to be with him. If the kiss in the alleyway hadn't confirmed it for you, that look certainly had. He liked you, and if you were totally honest, you really liked him too.

You quickly grabbed the shampoo that Haruki had given you, squirting it into your hand while still completely lost in thought. He was shy in a way you weren't expecting, especially not with how he acted on TV and with the media. Young, popular, and undeniably attractive, your glimpse of him after his shower making you ache in ways that you weren't sure you were proud of. You had anticipated more confidence and forwardness, especially when it came to intimacy.

It was odd, the way he seemed to want to kiss but pulled away as if he was too nervous to do so. The panic on his face when you'd suggested having sex yesterday was astonishing, and the fact that he was planning on sleeping on the sofa was just as surprising. It had taken you promising not to try anything—not that you'd planned on it—for him to finally agree to lay down. Your mind was spinning, racing with possibilities. Did he have a shitty ex too? You'd never heard about him having an official partner before, but that would explain why he was so skittish.

"Hey, uh, I'm late for work. I'm leaving," he called out, startling you slightly, and you sucked in a breath before replying.

"Don't forget your lunch!" you responded, wanting to make sure he took it with him. It wasn't anything special, just whatever had been left over from last night, but it would be a cold day in hell before you let him eat anything the Commission served again.

"I don't really know what your work schedule is, but I want you to be careful. I'll leave my number on the counter for you. Call if you need anything," he said quickly, and you frowned. You had forgotten all about your job with everything that had happened in the last two days. Nobody had called and told you that you'd missed a shift, but you needed to make sure you called later and got it written down.

"Sounds good!" you answered back, starting to hum something as you quickly worked on finishing your shower. It only took a few more minutes before you turned off the water, sighing in satisfaction as you wrapped a towel around yourself. Feeling like a brand new person, it was amazing what a shower could do for your mood. You called out for him, but silence met your ears, causing you to let out a sigh. Walking back into the bedroom, you frowned at the towel just thrown across the floor before rolling your eyes. Kuro had been the same way, always leaving clothes thrown around. How was it possible that men lived like that? It made everything look so cluttered if you let it go long enough.