Chapter 40

He couldn't recall the last time he had felt such overwhelming happiness.

Seriously, when was the last instance he experienced genuine joy? No one was searching for him, no expectations weighed on his shoulders, and throughout their entire outing, no one had even recognized him. It felt like, for the first time, he could simply exist as himself. In this rare moment, he felt liberated, unburdened, and it was all thanks to her.

She had meticulously orchestrated everything, concealing his identity and immersing him fully in the experience. And, oh, did he seize the opportunity, clasping her hand and guiding her enthusiastically from one ride to another like an eager child, savoring the melody of her laughter trailing behind him.

They shared small kisses and embraces while waiting in line, observed the bustling crowds, and shared giggles while people-watching. Her playful teasing about his first roller coaster scream of the day added an extra layer of delight. It has been exactly like he thought it would, like flying. It was strange to be strapped in, but he'd loved it. It was thrilling, sending his heart pounding in the best of ways. The entire day had been extraordinary; she had been perfect, and no one could ever tarnish the perfection of that memory.

"So," she said as they exited their latest ride, both their cheeks red and chapped from a combination of the wind from the rides and the cooler temperatures. She crossed her arms, looking at him as she shivered slightly. In any other situation, he'd easily offer her his jacket, but he wasn't sure if that was a good idea. The last thing they needed was to be suddenly swarmed by people. "I know we haven't done everything yet, but I've got one more surprise. Only if you're okay leaving. If you want to stay, then we can absolutely do that."

He shook his head, giving her a soft smile and wrapping her in a hug, hoping it was enough to warm her slightly. It had gotten significantly cooler as the sun went down, and he wasn't honestly sure if he would last much longer himself in just a hoodie. The cold was not for him at all. "I'm all for it. The next surprise sounds good to me, though I'm not totally sure it'll ever top this."

She gave him a smile before grabbing his hand as they made their way out of the park together. She quickly ordered another cab, climbing into the back seat as he watched her give the next address to the driver, before leaning back in her seat. The car was significantly warmer than outside but as he glanced at her he could tell she was still shivering. Without a second thought this time, he peeled off his hoodie before passing it over to her.

She frowned, pushing it back towards him as she shook her head. "Thank you, but you don't have to do that, but," She paused, reaching up to touch his face, her thumb tracing a gentle path, wiping away the makeup that had concealed the distinctive markings on his skin. "We also don't need that anymore either." He smiled at her before shaking his head, moving to put the hoodie over her head and thankfully she didn't fight him, allowing him to help her into it. She let out a small sigh as he pulled her against him, her head finding its way to his shoulder and they enjoyed the rest of the ride in a comforting silence.

He had nearly drifted off when the cab suddenly stopped, pulling up a building he recognized all too well. He couldn't even remember the last time he had been allowed to have Yakitori, it had been months now. Since the last hero billboard charts. His eyes widened in excitement before he looked down at her with a smile.

"Surprise," she breathed, the softness of her words sending shivers down his spine. In that moment, his heart twisted with an intensity he'd only really felt once before—right before the landslide mission. He bit his lip, a tangible manifestation of his internal struggle as they locked eyes. His heart pounded, urging him to break free from his fears.

On that night, he had stood on the edge of confession, the words so readily poised on his tongue. Yet, fear had held him captive. Was it too soon? Would she feel the same, or would it have overwhelmed them both? But now, resistance was futile against the undeniable truth coursing through him.