Chapter 60

He paced the bedroom floor, his wings puffing and twitching behind him as he struggled to settle his nerves. Stopping for what was probably the hundredth time that afternoon, he examined his reflection in the dresser mirror with a soft sigh.

He looked impeccable, the suit tailored to perfection, almost like a second skin. Dark gray jacket and pants, a cream dress shirt, and a beautiful champagne-colored tie pulled the look together. He had taken extra time the night before to preen his wings, ensuring not a single speck of dirt or feather was out of place. He smiled at his reflection, taking another deep breath.

How was it possible they were getting married today?

It felt like just yesterday he had proposed in their backyard after surprising her with the house he had built for them. Everything had been perfect, from the way the sunlight hit the ocean to the cool breeze that helped chase away some of the summer heat. He had managed to say everything he wanted without puking or stuttering. It had been raw, real, his heart twisting in ways he never imagined as he waited for her answer. Until finally, the word slipped from her lips.

Yes.

She had said yes to becoming his wife, and he couldn't imagine ever feeling happier than he did at that moment. Almost leaping for joy, his wings spread wide as he tackled her to the ground before fully realizing he was moving. Their lips collided, the ring momentarily forgotten on the ground as he passionately claimed her mouth with his. Pressing himself against her, his cock throbbing painfully with each passing second he wasn't inside her. Her response was enthusiastic, meeting his kiss with fervor, her tongue exploring his mouth with a soft groan.

He'd like to say he had the restraint to lead her to a bed like a proper gentleman, but that would be a bold-faced lie. In the heat of the moment, he lost all sense, fucking her in the garden without a second thought about onlookers or protection.

After they finished and he had some type of blood supply in his brain, he finally slid the ring onto her finger, his brain seemingly short-circuiting again at the sight of it. Swiftly dressing, he dismissed the staff hired for the weekend, carrying her back to the bedroom to claim her again.

They'd spent the entire weekend wrapped up in each other like a pair of teenagers having sex for the very first time. It had been hot, sweaty, and absolutely incredible. He wasn't sure he'd ever want to leave, but all good things had to come to an end eventually. It had only been on the drive home that reality had hit him, causing his heart to stop dead in his chest.

He'd spent the entire fucking weekend spilling himself into her with zero caution. He grimaced, his hands tight on the steering wheel as he cursed his dick. Damn thing had robbed him of his fucking common sense by hogging the blood supply the entire trip. Though in his defense how was he supposed to think about anything else while she was screaming his name so beautifully?

He sucked in a breath, forcing his thoughts away from the sex before he had another problem between his legs. He had to stay calm, there was no use in freaking out about it now. He had made an adult choice and if it came to it, he would just have to deal with the adult consequences. He knew there were options, but if she was pregnant, he already knew he would want her to have the baby.

When her period arrived right on time that month, instead of the relief he thought he'd feel, all he felt was disappointment. He'd rolled his eyes at the reaction, chalking it up to Fierce Wings' incessant need to procreate. They'd been careful since then, but the thought still lingered even a year later. It was honestly driving him nuts, making him wonder sometimes if it was really his quirk acting up or if it was something he actually wanted.

But he liked the way their family was; he didn't want to mess up the dynamic they had by adding a baby to it.

He sighed as he ran a hand through his hair before adjusting his cufflinks in the mirror. Why the hell was he still thinking about this? It had been over a year since that weekend. He needed to stop. What had happened had been a mistake, something he would never be repeating. He had gotten lucky that month; he doubted he would again.