Chapter 33

He sighed, holding his head in his hands as he gazed at the small monitor in front of him. The screen was fuzzy, the technology obviously needing updating sooner rather than later, though it didn't surprise him. They'd installed this specific camera when Hawks was just six, so it was nearly sixteen years old, after all. The room it monitored was basic, with only a small mattress in the corner. Small sobs filled the air, crackling through the monitor, and he grimaced, swiftly turning the volume off. He despised the sound of crying children, finding it more unsettling than anything else. There was a reason he tried to avoid his home as much as possible, especially now that his children were older. They were always screaming and crying for his attention, an absolute nuisance.

Footsteps entered his office, diverting his attention, and he smiled at the man who walked in. "Good evening, Mamoru," he greeted before letting out a deep sigh. "Any news from the Gala?"

"Sure is," Mamoru replied with a smile, settling into one of the chairs across from his desk. "He introduced her as his girlfriend just a few minutes ago. Kissed her in front of the press and everything. He's really putting on a show for you, and he's already trending on social media. Everyone seems to be losing their minds over it. I think they'll honestly break the internet at this rate. Great choice in her dress, by the way. She looks fantastic. Any specific reason for that one in particular?"

"Just trying to play into those stupid little bird traits of his. As frustrating as it is that we couldn't get rid of them all, it might just be to our advantage now. He just loves shiny things; doubt he will be able to keep his hands off her," he said, turning his attention back to the screen with a frown. She was still curled into the corner, clutching that stupid doll to her chest. God, it brought back memories of watching Hawks do the exact same thing when he was first brought into the program. If the DNA testing hadn't confirmed her lineage, he would've sworn they were related somehow, though he almost wished that was true. It would solve the majority of his problems instantly.

Mamoru followed his gaze before sucking in a breath, causing him to glance back up at him with a frown.

"Is there a problem?" he asked.

"I don't know, sir," Mamoru said softly, his eyes drifting down to the screen. "Do you think we acted too quickly in removing her from her father? After all, Hawks seems to actually be doing what he is supposed to. We might not even need her." He sighed in response, his gaze narrowing as he watched the camera before turning to Mamoru and shaking his head.

"It's not like she can go back to her father now. You already know the assassins have taken care of that problem," he said, shaking his head. It had been a quick, clean process. They'd hardly gotten Himari into the car before he had heard the gunshots echoing inside the house; it had been over in minutes. They had gone to Kuro's parents later, finishing the family line completely. It was necessary, after all. There was nothing worse than leaving loose ends, and he couldn't have Kuro interfering with Hawks in any way.

"Besides, do you really believe that Hawks has just magically changed his position on having kids?" he asked, and Mamoru furrowed his brows in response, the confusion obvious on his face.

"But he told me they're trying. He said they started the night she moved in. I mean, hell, he nearly bullied me out of his office to go home—"

"He's a trained spy," Jiro retorted, struggling to keep his patience in check. "He was trained to fucking lie. No, I have a feeling we are going to need her. Though if he is telling the truth, he has amazing timing."

"Sir?"

"I doubt he knew, but his timing for moving her in was perfect. After all, we've been monitoring her last few cycles. If what he said was true, we are only a few days away from finding out if the first month was successful. So I guess the dress was just for his benefit; a reward for moving her in," he said with a small chuckle, casting another glance at the small security screen with a frown as he watched her little head bob, like she was fighting sleep. "Is she still refusing to eat?"