Chapter 34 - Champion's Test

Previously, Ash and Serena arrived at Alola for a special mission: to request permission to catch and use Nebby during the Masters 8 Tournament Finals Match. Ash announced to everyone in Alola that he would need the legendary's help in defeating Leon's "unknown powerful pokemon". The four Guardian Deities summoned the Ultra Wormhole and Nebby came through the portal to land next to Ash.

----------------------

The lion pokemon landed next to Ash and licked his face. Ash hugged his good friend and said that he missed the big guy. After a few cuddles, Ash turned to the four Guardian Deities, who flew closer to the protagonist and made some weird gestures.

Hala explained, "Ash, Tapu Koko said you have to use Solgaleo here to battle against all four of the Guardian Deities here at the same time. If you win, you get to keep it temporarily and use it in the finals. But if you lose, that means either you or Solgaleo or both are not ready to face the threats outside."

Serena gasped when she heard this. 4? At the same time? That's too tough! Even though the lion pokemon seems pretty strong, its 4 opponents didn't seem weak at all!

Ash hesitated. He knew Nebby was strong and could fare against either one deity with ease. But 4 at the same time was a tough call. He wasn't sure if he could...

Professor Kukui stepped on the stage and announced in the microphone to all Alolan people, "Everyone! Big announcement here! I know you are all thrilled to see so many of our legendary pokemon right now. Today can truly be a miracle day for all of you. Do you want to see more?"

The crowd all cheered, raising their fists up in the air.

Kukui continued, "Our Champion, Ash Ketchum, will be challenging our 4 powerful Guardian Deities, using our Radiant Sun God Solgaleo in an epic battle! Right here, right now! Do you want to see it?"

The crowd cheered even further. The local news reporters quickly prepared themselves and got their cameras in position to stream the potential legendary match.

Ash sweated and took a deep breath, "I guess there is no turning back."

Serena walked closer to him and clenched her fist, "Ash, you can do it. I believe in you."

He turned around and thanked her. A simple sentence of encouragement was all he needed for the upcoming battle.

The field was cleared for the challenger and the Guardian Deities. Being the judge, Hala gestured for Ash to be prepared, "We wish you all the best, Champion."

Ash nodded and hopped on Solgaleo like it was a ride pokemon, "I got it. It is not a battle for the region, but one to save the world."

Pikachu hopped off of Ash's shoulders and jumped at Serena. The Kalos Queen caught him in her arms and sat amongst the crowd, wishing her boyfriend all the best in this necessary battle. Professor Kukui and Burnet sat next to her, saying that it was likely a test for the Deities to assess if Solgaleo was ready for a tough pokemon battle.

Everyone was ready for the battle as they chanted.

Champion! Champion! Champion...

Ash closed his eyes, feeling the energy and support from the locals. This is a mission that he can only succeed in. He can no longer clutch this like his previous battle against Cynthia. He has to take down Eternatus fair and square if it ever comes out.

And first, he has to win this battle so he can catch Nebby.

Hala confirmed with both sides, "Our beloved Guardian Deities are ready. Our Champion Ash Ketchum and Solgaleo are ready. Let the battle begin!"