Chapter sixteen

It was Saturday today. It was the Fourth of July party. The party at the park was today. I blew a hair out of my face as I sat on my bean bag chair in my room. I was watching a movie about a boy who found his lost love. I love romance movies even if they seemed to fake but I guess it was for the plot. I was braiding my hair for fun when I heard footsteps, I glanced at my door and saw Nate opening my door.

"Good Morning, Ana and Happy Fourth of July!," He said smiling. I smiled at him and got up, he walked over to me and hugged me.

"Happy Fourth of July and I see you're feeling better," I say as I squeezed the life out of him. He chuckled and let go of me.

"Yeah, thanks to you," He said and I blushed and waved my hand around.

"It was nothing," I said as I plopped back down on my bean bag chair. He looked down at me because he was so tall.

"Are you kidding? I felt like I was dying," He said laughing. But my face was serious when he said that, I shot up from my bean bag chair and hugged him, he was surprised at first but then he hugged me back.

"Please don't say that again, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you died," I whispered. I felt him rub my back and he placed his chin on my head.

"I'm not going anywhere, I promise. I'm sorry I said that," He whispered and I just shook my head.

"It's fine but just try not to get sick again," I say as I pulled away from him. He smiled and ruffled my hair. He took a few steps back and put his hand on my door knob.

"I'll try, I have to go now, I'm going to work at the hospital," He said and I nodded my head.

"Wait, what are we doing for the Fourth of July?," I asked him. I clasped my hands together in hope. He looked at me and sighed. But then he smirked.

"I decided we could go outside on the backyard to see the fireworks," He said and I widened my eyes. I shot up from my bean bag chair and hugged him.

"Are you serious!?," I yelled in excitement. Nate never does this. Ever. He was always terrified for me. He smiled at me and nodded.

"I mean I did make a big fence and no one would see you so I thought, just for tonight, that you can go outside for the very first time," He said and I hugged him even more. Even though I've been outside more than once, it was still thrilling. I let go of him because he needed to go to work.

"Okay, see you later alligator," I said giggling. He rolled his eyes at me while smirking.

"In the wild, crocodile," He said and then he left. I heard him walk down the stairs, opening the front door and then shutting it. I sighed as I rubbed my eyes. There he goes, having a life and me not having one. It can't be helped. I grabbed the remote and changed the channel, I changed it to the news.

"The Fourth of July summer party for the teenagers is at Graceland park at 4pm so get there early before it's packed," The news-reporter said. I widened my eyes. The Fourth of July Graceland party! Those parties were wild! I've always heard what happens the day after. I've always heard about them on the news every summer but I didn't know that Jasper invited me to that kind of party.

...

I have to go. I have to go to that party, I've always wanted to go but I never could. This is perfect. I checked the time, it was three o'clock. I had time. I had time to find an outfit. I got up from my bean bag chair and opened my closet.

I suddenly had no idea why I decided to go, I mean going to the fair and seeing the fireworks was just pure luck. Getting to see the shooting star was crazy. Being able to go to the supermarket and getting something for the very first was just unbelievable. God made go outside three times and I was never caught, not even once. He's finally on my side for once. Finally given me a chance at having a life.

I needed to do this. I needed to live and not just survive. I grabbed my red shirt, jean shorts and white converse that Nate bought me. I noticed the black dress that Nate bought me for my 16th. He wanted me to feel like a princess in this lonely castle we call a home. I always wondered how he knew my size and how did he know that it would fit me perfectly. I never asked. It was probably because I was extremely skinny. Like model skinny.

I put on my clothes and it still fit perfectly. I looked at myself in the mirror and the outfit still looked brand new to me. Nate allowed me to keep some of mom's clothes, shoes, and jewelry. I went to my bathroom and applied some makeup, also from my mom. After I finished, I brushed my hair to the side and curled it at the bottom.

Even though I didn't need it, I grabbed my mom's sunglasses. I walked down the steps briskly because I was so excited. We had another key in the kitchen to open our front door because sometimes Nate would misplace his original key and he was always in a rush so he would always grab the copy key.

I grabbed the key from the table, Nate doesn't come back until ten because of him, being a doctor and all. I'll just be there for an hour or so and then I'll come back, Nate will never know. My hand was shaking when I grabbed the doorknob. I don't know why I decided to use the door instead of going through the fence like I did the first time I went out, I just felt like a rebel when I did. A rebel with a dream. I opened the door and stepped out.