Prologue

I've never felt the sun on my skin; Or breathed real air. I wasn't allowed to go outside because of how dangerous it was, or so my older brother said. Nathaniel Light, or Nate as I liked to call him, has taken care of me since the day I was born.

My mother died giving birth to me and my dad died in the war. My brother who was all I had left, had taken multiple jobs just to get everything we needed. My brother would say how one day I would be able to go outside and see what it's like, that the government would change their minds. And I would pray everyday for that to happen, so I could be free.

There is only one reason why I wasn't able to go outside: I wasn't suppose to be born. In our town, only one child per family was allowed, that was the law. Before any single one of us was born, there was a World War III, because of the economy and how people were going through unemployment, bankruptcy, and another great depression. Until one day in 2040 when the USA came together and made a peace treaty, forming new laws and slowly building everything together. They made the law of only having one child per family, so our towns wouldn't be overpopulated and so it would be average.

This is how it works; women are supposed to be given shots as soon as they have their first child, so they can't have anymore children. If they are giving birth to more than one child then they are also given shots so only one child can live.

To me it felt like I was a mistake, I shouldn't have been born, and my brother wouldn't have to suffer because of me. My mom wanted to have more children, instead of just one, so that she could spread the love to all of her children. My father didn't know that, of course, and my mother never got that shot as soon as my brother was born.

So when my mom and dad had that one night of passion before my dad went to war due to a rebellion, she became pregnant with me but, she also became sick; really sick in fact my brother had to do everything in his power to make sure she stayed a little bit healthy in order for her to give birth to me.

She gave birth to me in our house and died instantly never even getting to hold me. She couldn't give birth to me in the hospital because, as soon as you are born, the nurses give you a shot in the arm and it travels down to your wrist, to mark your full name and bar code numbers. So, the security knows who you are by showing your wrist. Only hospitals have that and no one could get in on to where they keep their supplies.

A few days later, my brother found out my dad died in the war and he never got to meet me. The rest of our family found out about me and disgraced us, disgusted by my mother for having a second child and being rebellious. The only person who wasn't like that was my brother and my Aunt Melissa, who had a baby the same year I was born but her baby died due to sickness and she still had breast milk, so she became a wet nurse for me. She took care of me and my brother for awhile but then she died also because of sickness. So, it was my brother who took care of me and gave me my name.

And then my life began.