Chapter twenty

I woke up with a smile on my face. I stroked Minnie's head and she whined softly. I giggled softly, she yawned and blinked her eyes at me. I sat up and sighed, I had the best birthday ever because of Nate. He always makes everything amazing. I smiled at myself and I fell back on my pillow. I felt extremely bad to what I did to Jasper, running off like that, making him confused. The hurt in his blue eyes kept coming back to me, it made my heart ache. But I can't go back outside, I just can't. I've gone out way too many times, revealed myself because of my selfishness. I just loved being outside, how can a world be so beautiful but so cruel at the same time, I just don't understand. I sighed as I got out of bed, Minnie jumping off my bed also and I went to my bathroom to brush my teeth, after I finished, I went down the stairs. We walked towards the kitchen, Nate cooking on the pan. He smiled at me and Minnie.

"Good Morning!," He said cheerfully. I walked towards him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Good Morning to you too!," I said giggling. He smiled back at me and finished his eggs. He got out plates and placed the eggs on them. He grabbed forks and handed me the plate and fork. I smiled at him and ate. He grabbed the dog food and the bowl for Minnie and placed it on the floor and filled the bowl. He smiled at Minnie and patted her head.

He stood up and ate with me, I smiled at him and he smiled back. For some reason, it felt like something important was going to happen today, I couldn't figure it out though. He finished eating and put his plate in the sink. He ruffled my hair and smiled. I realized he was wearing regular clothes instead of his doctor uniform or his mechanic uniform, or one of his odd jobs uniforms.

"I'm helping out my friend today, that's why I'm not wearing any of my uniforms," He said. Reading my thoughts, like always. That's just like him, I smiled at him.

"Okay, have fun," I said and he nodded. He hugged me and I hugged him back. He was about to pull away when I hugged him tighter, he hesitated but then he hugged me just the same. I didn't know why I was hugging him the way I was, I just wanted to. I needed to. We finally pulled back and he smiled and kissed my forehead.

"See you later, I promise," He whispered. I nodded my head and kissed his cheek.

"See you," I say as I watched him grab his keys and walk out the door. I looked at Minnie and smiled brightly at her. "Well it's just you and me, Min."

I got up from my chair and picked up my plate and placed it in my yellow sink. I went upstairs and Minnie followed me. I went inside my pink room and grabbed a blue ball from closet. I threw it against my wall and Minnie ran and caught it with her mouth, I giggled. We played for awhile until I heard a noise. I looked at my window and got up from my floor. Minnie whined but I shushed her.

I peered outside my window and my eyes widened at who I saw. Jasper. I saw Jasper with Bianca and Jack. He was laughing at something Jack said. They were at the park across from my house and Jasper's house. My hands trembled. T-This was perfect, I could ask to speak with him privately, apologize and tell him I won't be able to see him again.

I can't see him again, I don't know why I've been thinking about this but I realized I can't be with him. I can't be the person he wants to love because I'm illegal. He would hate me for lying to him. He would think of me as a freak even though I look exactly like the rest of the people. I have a heart, skin, bones, I just don't have the mark that represents I'm suppose to be like them. Normal, not someone who is against the law. Not someone who made a change in the world that nobody knew could happen. It wasn't my fault I made the change, it just happened.

I needed to stay away from Jasper, he could be killed for knowing me. I couldn't risk his life because of me, I also couldn't risk Nate dying because of me also. He sacrificed everything for me, taking care of me, loving me, being the shoulder to lean on when I cried, he was always there. There was never a day I didn't see him. I couldn't allow him to be killed because of me.

I have to tell Jasper I can't see him anymore. I walked away from my window and walked towards my bathroom and took a quick shower. After I got out, I dried myself, put on my under garments and put on my pink dress that Nate bought me for my birthday and I also put on the golden locket he bought me, it shined when the light hit it. I put on my shoes and ruffled Minnie's hair.

"I'll see you later, I promise," I say as I kissed her nose and she licked my face as if she knew what I was going to do. The only people that accepted me, Nate, Aunt Melissa, and Minnie. Possibly my mother also. I smiled and walked down the stairs and walked out.