Chapter 5-Bickering Men

Half of this chapter was not written in the first version.

-------

His life with a drae around was not that different from normal. He would wake every morning, have breakfast, and would either spend the day fixing his gear and traps or hunting in the forest. The difference is that breakfast was hearing loud munching and squelching as said drae ate its meal. Fixing his gear meant having an assistant that would give him the tools he pointed out, or having said tools hidden from him when the creature wanted his attention. Hunting meant having a large hulking figure watching him from afar, as it waited for him to catch prey. It also meant large carcasses of creatures from the forest suddenly dropped in front of his feet when he turned around. Only sometimes though, for the creature preferred to laze around and sleep.

This damn leech, he thought as he glared at it. The drae had the audacity to tilt its head in an innocent and helpless way, that Alec knew was not so innocent and helpless at all. For some reason the 20-foot long beast wanted to be babied...or thought of him like a servant or something.

You don't exactly hate it. It's only been two weeks, but you adore this drae. Hurry up and give it a name! He ignored his inner voice once again, and nudged the lazy creature with his foot. "Get up and hunt your own food. I'm not going to the forest today, because a caravan is coming to town today. I need some supplies from there." Since it would be extremely difficult to gather supplies from the town itself.

The creature opened one eye, and regarded him with a look of curiosity.

"No," he said. "You can't come with me. The people there hate me. There's a huge chance you will not like them, and they will not like you in return. I don't want things to get bloody." Like years before.

The creature let out a dissatisfied grumble before lifting its large body off the ground. It nuzzled his head, before turning and flying towards the forest. A small smile tugged at Alec's lips. It disappeared the moment he thought of heading to town. He sighed.

--------

He walked down the streets of Gelun, shoulders raised, ignoring the glares and whispers of the crowd he passed. With his hood up, and a mask covering the lower half of his face, he looked intimidating enough that no one dared to approach. He maintained an even pace until he reached the square. All around the area, numerous people from the caravan had set up tents and stalls, displaying their products for anyone interested. The townspeople milled about from stall to stall. Shouts and haggling could be heard all around him, as he ignored most of the stalls. His purpose was the only stall that allowed him to buy and sell from.

"Welcome, Alec," said an aged voice. Alec looked up at the tall old woman leaning lightly on a black wooden cane. "I heard you won the hunting competition in Kasak, with the head of an adult silver bear. I guess congratulations are in order?"

"It's no big deal, Granny Rey," he said. "I just happen to stumble on one that woke up in the middle of its hibernation."

"A weakened silver bear, is still a silver bear that can take on ten grown men, boy. I heard you cut off its head and dropped its bleeding head on top of a competitor's pile of carcasses. Quite vicious." Granny Rey said. "Humility only works in certain situations."

He only joined the competition out of spite and to give a warning to the other hunters in Gelun to not mess with him. He was not expecting the story to be going around like this. Alec decided to change the subject.

"I need a new set of hunting knives and some rope," he said. "I'd like to see your other wares. Maybe something will catch my eye."

Granny Rey gave him a knowing look, but dropped the topic. "Feel free to look around. I'll have someone get the knives and rope." The old lady walked away to talk to another customer.