Peek: Even Hunters Gossip

So, before the start of the new arc, I made this. Just a little background on Alec as a hunter.

--------

In a tavern of Kasak, a town east of Gelun, Friosan of Arktis Skyland...

Steel watched as their last drinking buddy walked inside the bar, calling out to order some alcohol, before joining the three of them at their table. He, Sharpshot, and Ghost greeted Viper when he sat down.

"Anything new happened around here while I was out in Icefall?" Viper asked.

Ghost, ever the gossip, was quick to share. "One of the newbies who became the champion for the recent hunting competition left the circle."

"Why?"

Sharpshot scoffed. "Kid probably just realized that it wasn't the life he wanted."

Steel placed his mug down and corrected Sharpshot. "He messed with The Slayer."

Sharpshot and Viper fell into a scared silence before Ghost spoke. "You should've been here to see it!"

Sharpshot and Viper looked at him.

"You know how Slayer isn't interested in competitions? He joined this one because he wanted to fill his hunting quota, and he did not want to wait for the grounds to be available after the competition.

"Well this time, he brought back a silver bear. An adolescent. By himself."

The two leaned closer to him. "The Slayer's skills have never stagnated after all these years"

"It's good to be young."

Ghost waited for them before continuing. "So this newbie comes in with a crystal-vine moose and its antlers are in perfect condition. Everyone was in doubt if he really caught it, but the little bastard was acting so smug like he had already won.

"But then an hour later, Slayer comes back dragging the adolescent silver bear on his sleigh and everyone knew who the champion was right away. At least until something happened..."

Ghost paused. Steel shook his head at his dramatic friend. Always had to make everyone wait in anticipation. He decided to break his little fun.

"Slayer cut off the silver bear's head and dumped it, without caring about the mess, on top of the newbie's crystal-vine moose. It hung off the antlers, dripping blood on the carcass and snow."

Ghost glared at him before hurrying on with the story. "Everybody doubting the newbie immediately knew that he stole prey from The Slayer."

"What happened next?" Viper asked.

"Slayer turned away from the bleeding head, grabbed the newbie's hand, raised it, and shouted 'Meet the champion, everyone' with the scariest grin I've ever seen on him."

"Nobody cheered?" Sharpshot asked.

"Of course, nobody cheered."

All of them nodded at that. No one dared to cheer in front of the Slayer who obviously was not in a great mood.

"He proceeded to pat the newbie, who by the way was shaking so much, and went 'Hope to see more of you in the field. We could use more talented hunters like you.'"

Their table fell silent, and the table of hunters next to theirs who had been eavesdropping also fell quiet.

"The newbie...he has guts," Sharpshot said.

"Also smart enough to know to quit. I certainly do not want to keep working as a hunter if that kid ever holds a grudge against me," Viper said.

Steel paused from his drink and looked up at them. "It feels weird hearing you call Slayer a kid."

"Please, we both used to call him Tiny Hunter and Blazenspawn back when he was a lively little monkey causing headaches for his big brother," Viper said.

The table grew melancholic at the memory of the tiniest and youngest hunter in Friosan. "If I hadn't witnessed it myself, I wouldn't have believed that from the hunter of the smallest and rarest creatures in Friosan, he turned into the hunter who has slain the most poachers in Arktis. In just a decade," Steel said.

"Where is he now? I've never heard anyone mention him on the road back here," Viper asked.

Sharpshot raised his hand. "I know. Old lady Rey, from the Ice Flower Caravan, said that Slayer had said his farewells to her. It turns out that he had another brother who had been looking for him for a long time. She said that this brother was a teacher in Draeyer Academy and he asked Slayer to live with him there."

"Is it true?" Steel asked.

"That old biddy cares about Slayer. If something was off about this 'brother' she would not have allowed Slayer to go. That old woman is scary enough to make Slayer obey her."

After that, they fell into their own thoughts, drinking their alcohol and munching on some meat. "It's good to hear that Alec still has a family. The last decade wasn't kind to that kid when Alen died."

Ghost raised his mug. "To Alec's new life."

"May his hunt reach a satisfying end!" the rest of them said.

------

Q. What does Alec think of his fellow hunters?

A. Competition. He has never relaxed around them even once until the day he met Crimson. So he never got close to anyone aside from business matters.

Q. Why did they not help Alec?

A. They did. All very silent and invicible help that Alec never noticed. Some larger game would be led to him, and hostile hunters would immediately be ganged upon by these uncles. At least until Alec finished his growth spurt and he could take on anyone by himself.