Chapter 16- Welcome to Draeyer Academy

"Welcome back, Professor Gael."

Alec looked up and turned to the guard, as they passed through the gates of Draeyer Academy's main campus. He watched as Gael smiled and waved a hand in greeting. It was not the first time it happened since they left the house. Everybody they met on the road just had to greet Gael. Alec was beginning to wonder how well-known Gael really was. Because if he really was a well-renowned figure, he really might have jinxed himself when he agreed to the identity of "Gael's little half-brother." He already did not like the attention given to him just by walking next to the man.

"Come out from under that hood and try to enjoy your surroundings for a bit, please?" Gael suddenly asked.

Alec, still a little angry about what happened earlier at the lake, opened his mouth. He was about to snap at Gael to get off his case and leave him alone but stopped. His steps slowed as he took in the sight before him. Like other sections of the skyland, there were lush trees and flowers wherever he looked. What made the main campus different was how colorful it was. Most of the trees were still green, but he could spot patches of white, red, pink, orange, and yellow trees together among them. But what really caught his attention was the castle situated on the side of a small rocky mountain.

It stood above all the other buildings on the campus, looking big and majestic. Its white walls, at first glance, looked new, but Alec soon spotted signs of its age in the many stone towers that rose above the structure. Comparing it to what he remembered of Icefall Academy, he finally knew why the merchants and travelers he encountered would say that Draeyer Academy was just better in terms of appearance alone. Looking closely, he could also spot stone perches rising up from the castle that were not in Icefall Academy. Some of the perches had both adult draes and draelings, doing all sorts of things from sleeping, playing, or peeking curiously through windows.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Gael said from next to him. Alec could only nod, too busy focusing his attention on the draes he could spot flitting over the castle. "Welcome to Draeyer Academy, Alec."

Alec felt Gael pat his back, before moving towards the castle, silently indicating for Alec to move on. As Alec followed him, he pulled his hood down to get a better look at his surroundings. Alec was too immersed in the sights he only read about. As a result, he was taken aback when he found that more people had appeared and they were looking at him. He regretted pulling down his hood, but he refused to put it back on in front of all the watching eyes. Years ago, he learned that hiding under his hood while others were watching gave them the impression that he was weak and easily scared.

Someone began to approach them. Judging from the school emblem on his chest, which held a sword like Gael's, Alec assumed that he was a teacher. Gael paused in his steps and Alec did the same.

"Good morning, Professor Gael," the man said with a smile.

Alec wanted to frown. He did not like the man's smile. It reminded him too much of the other hunters he met, who tried to ingratiate themselves to him, only to try and take credit for his hunts when he turned his back. Gael seemed to not like his fellow teacher either. He put on a cool and distant smile as he answered the man.

Alec found it interesting.

"Good morning to you, Professor Kenan," he said.

"We didn't get to talk much after yesterday's meetings. I was hoping to discuss an important matter with you," Kenan said.

"Well, it seems you have to wait a while longer. I do have a lot of responsibilities that take priority."

Alec, keeping his face neutral, raised a brow internally. Is Gael saying that whatever it is the other teacher has to say, it will not be prioritized?