Chapter 12-Under the Moons

Gael couldn't sleep, which led him to walk about the deck of the Float and take in the sight of the sea of endless clouds. The twin moons hung in the sky, bathing the clouds of the Infinite Sky in a silver light. It had been a long three days, but they were finally going to reach Draeyer Academy tomorrow morning.

He let out a sigh when he thought about what he'd been doing the last three days. He had been busy coordinating with his housekeeper at the academy, asking him to help arrange some things for Alec's stay.

What a shock it was that he was actually letting a stranger into his little home. He could've dropped the "long-lost brother" thing, and just have Alec stay as the Academy's guest. But no, his heart and mind insisted on taking the kid under his wing. Alec was young, true, but a fully capable young adult who practically raised himself. He did not need Gael's help at all.

In truth, he was still shocked and confused about how easily he got attached to the kid. He never got attached so quickly and easily to anyone at first meetings. When the Munstones family took him in, he was a like feral cat towards them. He snarled and snapped at Kreis all the time when they first met. Why is this kid different?

The moment he thought that his mind conjured the memory of Alec curled protectively over Crimson, blood and tears covering him all over. He remembered as he stayed in that position for an hour, even as Crimson's body had grown cold. Alec had a faraway look in his eyes like he wasn't even there with them. Gael had to pry him away from the drae's body when noticed that Alec was planning to stay there the entire night. Alec had let out a quiet whimper as he separated him from Crimson. He remembered how loud that small whimper was to his ears, and how it broke his heart a little bit. It overlapped with the quiet cry he made when he lost his mother all those years ago.

Ah, I get it now, he thought. He let out another sigh and rubbed one of his brows. Gael, you're a stupid fool. Alec does not need nor want your sympathy and pity.

He was brought out from his musings when he felt a presence coming from behind him. He did not turn, knowing who the quiet footsteps belonged to. Instead, he spoke out loud. "You're a decade too early to be able to sneak up on me, Alec."

He felt Alec pause, then resume walking like he had not been trying to sneak behind him.

"I was not sneaking up on you," Alec said, voice cold. But to Gael, it sounded like a pout and a grumble.

"Still, you actually managed to get as close as 10 feet before I noticed. Very few can do that."

"I said I wasn't." This time Gael could hear a bit of indignation in the young man's tone. "I did not want to distract you from...whatever thoughts were going on in your head."

"You did a good job getting so close."

Alec paused before letting out a grunt of frustration and resignation. Gael covered his mouth to stifle his laugh. Another thing Gael noticed was how Alec always tried to hide his playful side. It was obvious with how he teased the draes and how he subtly tried to get him and Kreis into petty arguments the last few days. Like what he suspected, Alec did use their bickering as a source of entertainment.

Alec made it very easy for someone to grow fond of him. This is why, for the hundredth time, Gael wondered what made the people in Gelun hate him so much. Or rather his brother, Alen.

Alec stood a few feet away from him, watching the sight of the silver clouds like he had earlier. From the corner of his eye, Gael watched as a look of longing appeared on his face before a bittersweet smile graced his lips. Gael was tempted to unseal his sentiral power and read his thoughts, but that was only for a moment.

"How are you feeling?" he decided to ask once more. If he was lucky, maybe Alec would answer.

He watched as Alec turned his head to him in surprise, like he was shocked that Gael still asked him that, even though he had refused to answer the question a few days ago. Maybe it really was the first time, in a long while, someone kept asking about his well being.

Alec did not fidget, like he noticed other people do. Instead, he stood there for a moment, before turning back towards the Infinite Sky. He seemed to contemplate whether to answer the question or not. Minutes passed and Gael concluded that he wouldn't get an answer like when he first asked.

Which is why he was surprised when Alec spoke.

"Can't you just read my mind?"

Gael was speechless. He had only used his ability once on Alec but, he still managed to find out. He sighed. "I am sorry for reading your mind when we first met," he said quickly. "I only read people's minds at first meetings, or when things are urgent like what happened with you. Otherwise, my abilities are sealed."

Alec stared at him for a moment before letting out a tired laugh. "I see."

Gael had figured that Alec had changed the topic to avoid talking and decided to drop his question. For the second time that night, Alec caught him by surprise by continuing to speak.

"Honestly? Not so well," he said. "I only knew Crimson for a month, but it felt like I had lost a friend I had known for years. Which is a bit funny, because Crimson was the only friend I made."

Gael kept quiet.

"A moment ago, I remembered the time Crimson and I watched silver firebirds while his wing was injured. That night...Crimson had promised that he would take me to fly on his back. But...I...just...." Alec stopped like the words got stuck in his throat and couldn't come out. He placed his hand on the railings and bent his body. Gael heard him take a deep breath before he looked back at the clouds but with a faraway look in his eyes. "So, I do not feel well...yet. I thought this being the second time, it would make it easier but, it's not. It's just as hard. Luckily, I have some idea of how to handle grief this time around."

Alec looked so small at that moment. In Gael's eyes, he turned to a small lonely child standing there with the weight of the skies on his shoulders. He reminded him of the Munstone twins when he first met the two. He developed an urge to engulf him in a hug like what he used to do for the twins.

"Thank you...for asking," Alec said.

Gael inwardly smiled. A comforting hug might not be an option for now. But it seemed that sincere words of concern were enough at the moment.

"If you ever need someone to talk to about this, I'm ready to listen," he said. "And if you need comfort...you can feel free to seek out Asher, Iris, or maybe the draes in the academy's sanctuary."

Alec's light blue eyes lit up. Under the light of the moons, the color looked a little brighter than before. "How many draes are there in the sanctuary?"

Understanding that talk of feelings was over, Gael proceeded to tell Alec what he should be expecting to see in Draeyer Academy.

Their talk lasted long enough, that Gael finally felt sleepy just after midnight.

The next morning, they arrived at Draeyer Academy.

-----

Gael's Observation List About Alec (Aside from the obvious):

1. Does not like him and Kreis at all. Only with them for the sake of revenge....and their draes.

2. Unable to be rude to anyone polite to him. As if, it physically pains him to do so. If you're rude to him...well, just be ready to be knifed. Whether it be by his harsh tongue, or a real blade (where on Blazen does he hide those?).

2. Playful childish side that he tries to hide...maybe a bit of cunning and scheming too.

3. Completely lovable. How could someone hate this precious (bean) young man?

4. Handles his grief as healthily as possible. 

-------

If you see errors, please let me know so I can fix it. Also, blame it on my two hours of sleep.