Waxing Moon: Part IIII

Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry:
______________________________________

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore has had a day almost twice as long as his name, after the Chamber of Secret fiasco that young mister Potter had ended one would think that was that.

But, oh no, dealing with the DMLE and keeping their appearance in the school from the students was a circus by itself.

But also dealing with the board of governors, the ousting of Lucius Malfoy from the said board, and the paperwork that had piled up while he was away; he honestly couldn't blame Minerva for that last one, the school HAD been in a crisis after all.

And now after a long day of dealing with the aftermath of the Chamber of Secrets and keeping young Harry's name away from it all, Albus was finally climbing the stairs to his office.

Where soon he'll be able to enjoy a nice cuppa with a splash of brandy before turning in for the night.

So much work to be done tomorrow as well, he just hopes he'll be able to keep his word to young mister Potter.

Stopping before the door to his office and reaching with his magic to undo the wards that sealed it in his absence, he pauses.

It was an oddity, the wards were whole and intact, and none had been breached or destroyed but still, the wards told him there were two beings inside his office.

Now one he had expected, for there was no ward known to Wixen-kind that could stop a Phoenix from going where they pleased.

Beings of fire, life, and light as they were.

Fawkes has been his steadfast companion for many years, Albus had expected him to return to his roost after helping in the Chamber.

But the other Being was a surprise and Albus truly meant the word Being, for how old their magic felt it was no human within his office.

What most wizards and witches speculate on how powerful another Wixen is, is based on the thought that if you had more magic, then you are more powerful.

This is a falsehood, for most Wixen did not have magic. They had a core or soul that could Channel magic through it and use it with a foci, one could only measure the strength of one's magic by the AGE of their core and the knowledge they had gained in their studies.

Only with understanding and time can one cast either the most Marvelous or the most Malicious of magics. There are rare exceptions, yes. But this was the truth that most magic followed.

Albus was old enough and wise enough to feel out the age of the magic around him, it was not as fine-tuned as many would think.

He can tell if it was younger or older than him, that was all and not a very good way to try and measure power.

He could feel the age of Fawkes and know the Phoenix was older than him, he could feel the magic of Hogwarts through the wards and feel the ancient thrum of power of the old castle.

But the guest beyond his door was older than both.

So with this in mind, Albus quickly comes to two conclusions, the first is that without a doubt that the being beyond this door was waiting for him, and that put him on edge.