The End of the Hunt (A Promised Hello)

Peter Pettigrew

Peter Pettigrew couldn't believe his luck, he had gotten away from Sirius, Remus, Severus, and the woman. He had pretended to be knocked out after Sirius had banished him into the stone, hoping to get a moment to plan how to escape. Then the boy went and killed Sirius after knocking out the hooked nose cunt, he had quickly transformed and scurried off into the underbrush while they were crying over Sirius' soon-to-be-dead body. But Remus now knew, Severus now knew, and soon Dumbledore would know, Peter had to run, he had to escape the wards and get off of the islands and look for the one man who could protect him from Albus Dumbledore and his old friend, he had to return to his master.

So Peter ran as fast as his little feet could carry him, soon he would be outside the wards and could Apparate away and hop a muggle ship to the continent. But as the Rat known as Peter Pettigrew moves through the underbrush of the forest, a cold shiver runs down his back, stopping him dead. He tucks into himself listening to the ingrained instincts of the animal he became, waiting and listening to the crunch, crunch, crunch of someone approaching near him. Who could have followed him out here? So deep into the woods, was it Snape? Was it Harry? As Peter waits and watches, he hears someone talking to themselves.

"What sight it was to behold," a voice says, a young voice whispers, "When he escaped the Hunt, I was shocked, no mortal had done it before, and he was so deep in it he had become an avatar of it; a living embodiment of the Hunt." The voice scoffs, "He was like Orion at that moment so deep and so lost, but still he pulled himself from it, something even Orion couldn't do. He is truly my Heir, for I'm the only other one I know who can submerge so deep in the Hunt without getting lost in it," the voice speaks softly, almost lovingly.

Peter didn't know who this young voice belonged to, nor why it was talking out loud in the middle of the woods, it must be a student. Didn't they know how dangerous the forest was at night? The little fool will get themselves eaten.

But the voice continues after a small pause, "And then his feat of magic at the edge of the lake, it was my Stag, his father's form, made from silver moonlight," the voice says louder, was she talking about Harry?

"I would have never imagined he would gain access to the domain of the moon," the voice admits, "It's not truly mine you see, I was not born to it, nor did I win it by right of conquest, it was given to me by mortals and I did not think it could be passed on to him," the voice pauses as the person stops walking close to Peter, "and it was magnificent to behold, it's a shame that you had missed it, Peter,"

They knew! Peter scrambled away, he wasn't sure how the person had known, nor did he care at the moment all he knew was that he had to get away, but he didn't get far as a wave of something hit him, and instead of the form of a rat, he was now in the form of a man scrambling on his hands and knees. Peter stops and flips around and gets his first look at the young voice, she couldn't be older than thirteen with olive skin and black hair pulled into a high ponytail, she wore a silver bomber jacket and Muggle pants with a bow slung over her right shoulder, looking at him with glowing amber eyes full of scorn.

Pettigrew wastes little time drawing his wand and pointing it at the girl, "Back!" He yells at her, "Back away, I-I'm a dark wizard! I'll curse you!" He shouts at the girl, who only chuckles in response.

"Now, now, Peter," the girl says to him with a smile, "I would caution against that, you see, I'm in a particularly good mood at the moment and it would be in your best interest not to ruin it," the way the girl spoke remind Peter of his Master, a being sure of themselves and their power.