~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 2 ~

"How do we know the RainWings didn't do it?" Clay asked.

A day had passed since the MudWing soldiers had been murdered. Glory had explained how their necks were slit so deep that their heads were hanging on by a tiny bit of skin. Hare shuddered just imagining it.

On the bright side, the rain had stopped. Now they only had a few drops of water splashing on them from trees and occasionally slipped on the wet ground.

"Why would RainWings murder a couple of MudWings?" Kestrel pointed out. "They have no reason to dislike them, they aren't involved in the war."

"They may have reasons," Clay said anxiously.

Hare pressed herself comfortingly against him. "If you're worried we're going to let someone murder you, that won't happen."

Clay nodded, though he didn't seem very convinced.

"Perhaps we could try the Ice Kingdom instead," Starflight suggested.

"So we can freeze to death?" Glory said. "What a wonderful plan, Starflight. Let's just travel half a continent away when we're already so close to safety."

Hare liked the idea of going to the Ice Kingdom. It would be nice to go to the place her father had come from, the place where part of her would fit in. But she knew that wouldn't be fair to Glory, and it'd be far more dangerous.

"Glory's right, you all would freeze there," Hare pointed out. "I'm the only one who'd be able to manage, and it's not worth the risk. No doubt the IceWings are searching for us, too. The whole continent must be. It's better to stay here where we have no known enemies."

Glory smiled and patted Hare on the head. "See? Even the IceWing disagrees with you."

"Half IceWing," Starflight grumbled. "We don't even really know if she'd manage there."

"All the more reason not to go." Glory hopped onto a large tree root and stretched her neck up, flaring her ruff and her wings.

"I don't like this place," Clay said. "It makes me nervous. Did I mention that?"

"Only a couple thousand times," Glory replied.

"This place is nothing like the Kingdom of the Sea," Tsunami commented. "I can't tell if I like it or not."

"I certainly do," Glory called from ahead. "Nobody here is trying to drown us."

"Yeah, but they might try to spit some magical death spit at us," Tsunami pointed out, hopping over a root.

Glory shook her head. "Yeah, no, we're not calling it that."

"I vote in favor of calling it that," Sunny chirped.

"Well I don't, and I think I'm the only one who gets a say considering the fact that I'm the only one here with that natural weapon," Glory argued.

"I miss the Kingdom of the Sea," Hare admitted. "It was nice there, and I miss my friends."

"More like you miss Catfish," Tsunami teased. She laughed and ducked as Hare whipped her tail around to smack her in the head.

"Don't act like you don't miss Riptide!" Hare laughed.

"I'd never miss that squid-brain," Tsunami lied. She brushed away a butterfly that landed on her shoulder as she continued talking. "What do you think happened to Trench?"

"I'm hoping she's okay," Hare said. "Where did you and Axolotl even bring her?"

"We brought her to a nearby healer Axolotl knew," Tsunami replied. "She should be in safe talons."

"What about Whirlpool?" Hare asked.

"Hopefully dead," Tsunami spat. "That stupid dragon can go suck on a toad for all I care. I hope she fed him to the sharks."

"I'm sure she gave him a much worse punishment," Hare said.

Something chattered loudly in the branches overhead, putting an end to Tsunami and Hare's conversation.

"Tt was just a monkey," Glory said fiercely. "Or... a toucan or something."

"Can we eat toucans?" Clay asked hopefully.

"Only if we can catch them," Tsunami said. She flexed her wings and glanced up at the branches and vines overhead.

Something from above cawed loudly, making Hare wince and nearly cover her ears.

"Again, just a toucan," Glory said. "You all can relax."

"How are we supposed to relax when we're in the middle of a rainforest that has a murderer running around in it?" Tsunami snapped.

"Guys, shut up!" Starflight cried. The NightWing was spinning around in frantic circles. "Where are Kestrel and Sunny?"

Hare blinked and looked around. He was right.

The SkyWing and SandWing were missing.