~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 20 ~

Hare pushed past the trees and into the clearing. Clay and Starflight were still perched by the hole, but Clay was looking around distractedly.

"Clay! Starflight!" Hare hurried over to them. The two dragons looked over at her. Clay beamed at her. "Hi Hare!"

Hare stopped at the base of the tree, smiling up at them. "I have great news! Glory brought her news to the queen."

"That's great!" Clay said. "What did the queen say?"

"Well, about that." Hare raised her head regally. "Glory is the queen now."

Starflight gasped. "So she's Queen Glory and now? That's great! I feel sorry that we weren't there to congratulate her."

"I'm so proud of her," Clay said. "This is a big deal."

"She'll be a great queen," Hare told them proudly. "You should've seen the support she got."

"I'm sure of it," Clay said happily, his eyes darting off to the trees. "Glory's great."

Hare nodded. Clay looked at her. "While you're here, do you mind taking my place real quick? I think I saw a boar over there and I want to go catch it."

Hare sighed. "Typical hungry Clay." Blaze can wait for a few minutes, I suppose. "Yes, go ahead."

Clay shot off into the trees. Hare flew up to take his place. "How's it been going?"

"Nothing so far," Starflight replied. "The tunnel's been quiet. No suspicious activity so far."

"That's good." Hare poked her head into the dark hole, even going as far to take a few steps in. "It's oddly creepy."

"Isn't it?" Starflight lightly tugged on her tail. "Maybe you should get out of there."

"Good idea." Hare moved to back out, but something stopped her. Scraping sounds echoed through the tunnel. Someone was coming.

"Someone's in here," she whispered to Starflight.

"Get out of there!" Starflight hissed. "Now!"

Hare tried to scramble backward, but the dragon in the tunnel shot forward and grabbed her. Hare writhed, trying to get free and fight back. She was twisted in an awkward angle. The dragon who had her hissed in frustration. A few heartbeats later, a sharp and painful blow was shot through her head. Hare let out a weak gasp. She couldn't get a single thought through her mind, the pain was too sharp. It brought back the pain of the battle with Deathbringer.

Hare looked around desperately. Everything was spinning. She felt like she was going to vomit.

Then the world went dark.