~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 16 ~

"I know how to fight!" the pale orange dragon cried. "Don't touch me!"

"I wasn't- I'm not going to." Hare stared at the odd thing. He was lighter than Alder was, and he had the same striking blue eyes as Peril. "What are you doing here?"

The SkyWing hesitated. "I- I'm looking for my mother. She was supposed to be back by sunrise, but she never returned."

Hare blinked. "Is your mother... a RainWing?"

The SkyWing shook his head. "No, she's a SkyWing, like me."

"Why are two SkyWings living in the rainforest?" Hare asked.

"Mother said she needs to protect me from other dragons, especially SkyWings," the dragon replied. "Not even the RainWings know we're here. She made sure we were very well hidden."

Hare eyed him up and down. He looked about the same age as Peril, why was he so dependent on his mother?

That doesn't matter. He misses her and wants to find her, I'd want to do the same for mine.

"What does she look like?" Hare asked. "Maybe I can help."

The SkyWing perked up. "Really? Oh, thank you! She's dark red and she has a yellow belly and amber eyes."

Hare nodded and held out her talon. "Hare."

The SkyWing blinked at her. "Hare?"

"That's my name," Hare said.

"Oh!" The SkyWing reached out and shook Hare's talon. "I'm Breeze."

Hare smiled. "It's nice to meet you." She looked over her shoulder through the trees. She could see the shapes of her friends moving around, almost panicked.

Uh-oh.

"We should go back to my friends," she said. "I think they're looking for me."

Breeze's eyes widened even more and he violently shook his head. "Oh, no, no, no. My mother said I'm not allowed near other dragons."

"You're near me," Hare pointed out. "Come on, my friends won't hurt you."

Breeze hesitated. "They can help," Hare insisted.

Finally, Breeze sighed. "Okay, fine, but only if you promise they won't hurt me. Mother said I can't trust anyone too much, even my own mother, my real mother, tried to kill me."

Poor little dragon.

"So the dragon we're looking for isn't your real mother?"

Breeze shook his head. "No, but she's all I have. All I've ever had. She may as well be my real mother."

Hare nodded. "Right. Okay, well listen, I know you may have a hard time believing this but you can trust me and my friends. We just want to help."

Breeze just eyed her for what felt like eternities before he nodded. "Okay, but you better not be lying to me. My mother taught me how to fight."

And my guardians taught me.

Hare signaled for him to follow her as she walked back through the trees and undergrowth. Together they walked back into the clearing. Tsunami looked up as Hare approached and shot toward her.

"You feather-brained fool!" Tsunami pulled Hare close to her. "Never run off like that again! You had us thinking you got kidnapped."

"I'm fine," Hare said, trying to squirm free. She looked over at Breeze, who was standing there awkwardly. "I just went to find him."