~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 17 ~

Breeze just stared at Kestrel. Liana was the one who broke the silence.

"What a lovely reunion, now can we get our tails moving?" she hissed. "We kind of have to find missing dragons, unless you all forgot."

"Right," Breeze said slowly. "We need to find Eagle."

Kestrel looked heartbroken as her son turned away and followed as Liana started walking again. Her wings drooped like she could no longer support them. Hare walked up beside her. "I'm so sorry."

Kestrel didn't say anything. She stared at Breeze for a while as the rest of the group passed. She slowly began to follow, her talons moving like deadweight. Hare walked beside her, keeping close to her. The SkyWing smiled at her sadly and wrapped one of her wings over Hare's back. Hare pressed closer to her as they walked.

"Eagle!" That was Clay's voice. It made sense for him to be yelling, seeing as he was the loudest. "Eeeeeagle!"

"Eagle!" More dragons were calling now, including Breeze.

The pale orange SkyWing climbed up one of the nearby trees until he was at the very top, scanning the floor below. "Mother?"

Kestrel winced as he called that. The cries continued until a faint voice could be heard through the trees. "Breeze?"

Breeze perked up. "Mother! I'm over here!"

"Yes, please come collect your son," Liana called.

After a few moments, a dark red SkyWing wound around one of the trees and approached them. Breeze leaped down from the tree and crashed into her. "There you are!"

Eagle smiled. "I told you I'd be back." She looked at the group. "Who are these dragons?"

"We should be asking you the same thing," Ringtail snarled. "Why are you in our rainforest? How did you get past the patrols and alarms?"

Eagle shifted uncomfortably. "I came here with Breeze eight years ago."

"We had the same system eight years ago," Jambu hissed. "I remember learning about it during my training, which happened to start around the time you claim to have arrived."

Eagle looked away. "I learned how to sneak around them."

"You're not welcome here." It was Mangrove who spoke now.

Eagle's eyes narrowed at Hare and the others. "And they are?"

"Show some respect," Tsunami snarled. "You're talking to two princesses, and the dragonets of destiny."

Eagle blinked. "The dragonets of destiny? Why is your SkyWing so old?"

"She's not our SkyWing," Clay said, pointing at Glory. "She is."

Eagle looked at Glory, then looked at Clay as if to see if he was joking. She looked back at Glory, then took a breath as though she were trying to contain her laughter. "My apologies, I didn't notice. I guess being isolated with Breeze for so long has kept me from hearing updates in the world." She rubbed her snout and looked back at Tsunami. "So who are the two princesses?"

"I am," Tsunami replied. "And so is Hare."

Eagle looked at Hare squinted. "Sooo, who's your mother?" she asked. "Queen Glacier?"

"Queen Burn, actually," Hare corrected.

Eagle blinked. "That was true? I thought it was just some rumor that Burn had a dragonet."

Hare shook her head. "No, I'm no rumor. I grew up with these five, and Kestrel here was our guardian."

Eagle nodded, though she seemed to tense and bristle a little every time she looked at Kestrel. Because she's seen her.