~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 10 ~

"The sloth is gone," Ringtail observed as they headed back toward the boulder.

"Of course it is," Glory said. "Clay buried it."

"No, I mean, like, really gone. The grave was dug up. Look."

Ringtail pointed toward the place where Clay had buried the sloth. Hare squinted. He was right, it had been dug.

"Odd," Glory said before shrugging, making the sloth on her neck wobble awkwardly. "Well, it's not any of our business."

"It might be," Nightingale said. "Maybe we should look into it."

"Don't be stupid," Glory snapped. "We have more important things to do other than investigate a missing, dead sloth. Come on, move your tails."

"Do we have to go down that creepy tunnel?" Dainty whined. "It's scary."

"So is the amount of dragons we're missing," Ringtail pointed out. "And the fact that one of our group members has been added to the list."

"Right," Hare said. "We haven't seen Mangrove since last night."

"I'm sure he's fine," Dainty said, shifting nervously. "Maybe we should just drop this investigation and go home. I'm sure everybody is fine. They'll turn up eventually, everyone always does."

"You sound dumber than a sloth," Ringtail said.

The group approached the boulder. Kestrel took off the vines she had wrapped around her shoulders. "I'm hoping we have a plan," the SkyWing said.

"We do," Glory said. "The plan is I go in and the rest of you wait here."

"Absolutely not."

A pink dragon flew down from above and landed beside Glory. His face was stern as he looked down at his sister.

"You're not going in there alone," Jambu said.

"What are you doing here?" Glory demanded.

"Protecting you." Jambu grabbed her arm and yanked her closer as she opened her mouth to protest. "Mother and father told me about you, about how we're related. I'm not letting you get lost right after we finally got you back. I'm not letting anything happen to my little sister."

"Aren't you supposed to be on border and burial patrols today?" Nightingale asked.

"I asked Queen Magnificent to give me the day off," Jambu explained. "She agreed when she heard my reasoning." He scanned the group with narrowed eyes. "Where's Mangrove?"

The group exchanged looks.

"He's... missing," Vanilla admitted.

"What?" Jambu growled. "And you didn't think to report this to the queen?"

"We haven't had time," Vanilla protested.

"Then you make time." Jambu picked up the vines. "We need to get moving. So who's going in?"

"I am," Glory said.

"You should bring someone else with you," Sunny pointed out. "Maybe someone who breathes fire?"

Glory sighed. "Fine. I'll take Clay."

Hare felt a stab of pity when she saw the look of disappointment on Sunny's face. She wanted you to take her, Glory.

"I'm going, too," Hare said. "I'm one of the best fighters among these five."

"What about me?" Tsunami hissed. "I can fight, too."

"It's not a good idea to send too many dragons in," Starflight told her. "Let's just send these three for now, then go from there."

Tsunami huffed.