~ The Rainforest Monster: Chapter 9 ~

Hare shivered. Her claws felt like they were about to fall off, like icicles. She knew this feeling all too well.

Hare opened her eyes. The dark rainforest surrounded her.

She'd been brought back to the Place of Lost Souls.

"Really?" she snarled quietly. "You brought me back here tonight?"

Of course. You wanted to find Black Widow, didn't you? And the more time you spend here, the better. You'll be glad for this in the future.

How? What is this stupid fate you keep talking about?

You will see.

No! I want answers.

And you will get them when the time comes. Now quit your arguing. You have an awful habit of acting like your mother.

Excuse me?

When Mystery didn't say anything, Hare just sighed. Can you at least guide me to Black Widow?

I could. I could take full control of you and bring your body there, but I'd need your permission and you'll need to be ready to be much colder.

So you're asking to possess me?

If that's how you want to word it.

Hare hesitated.

Alright, very well. But try not to take long.

Hare suddenly lost control of her body. She felt like she'd been pushed into a very small corner and trapped in a box. She felt herself moving, but without her telling it to.

Hare tried to open her mouth to let out a wail, but it wouldn't move. She couldn't make anything do what she wanted.

I don't like this! Mystery, I'm scared!

Mystery didn't respond. Hare tried to claw her way out of the small corner, but she was trapped. She tried desperately to take control back of her body.

Mystery!

You need to trust me.

I'm scared!

It's okay.

Suddenly Hare had control back. She gasped and flexed her claws.

I'm never letting anybody do that again.

"You're awfully loud for someone in enemy territory."

Hare whipped her head around. A tall, elegant figure was walking toward her. Its voice was quiet and slightly raspy.

The figure emerged into full view, revealing a RainWing. Her scales were pitch black and her eyes were bright yellow. Her tongue flicked out occasionally like Blister's did.

"I've heard about you," the RainWing hissed, beginning to circle around Hare. "Everybody's on the lookout for you; the out-of-place dragon who keeps welcoming herself here." The RainWing stopped and leaned closer and flicked her tongue. "I'm surprised you have the guts to keep coming back."

"I don't have a choice," Hare snapped.

"I'm sure you don't." She began circling Hare again, her tail now lashing behind her slowly. "Do tell me, why are you here?"

"I don't know! How many times do I have to say that? I have no clue why I keep being summoned here!"

The RainWing narrowed her eyes. "Lies," she hissed. "You do know. It's part of your destiny, isn't it?"

Hare blinked. "Wha-"

"Don't play dumb." The RainWing circled her claw in the air, leaving a red wisp. "I know more than you'd like. And for good reason; this is my home after all. You're the intruder here."

Hare tilted her head and leaned a little closer to the wisp before it vanished. "You're Black Widow, aren't you?"

"Have you met any other black RainWings?" Black Widow flicked her tail and yawned. "I'm one of the few RainWings. For some reason, my tribe tends to be more rabbit-hearted than most."

"I've heard stories about you," Hare said. "How could you use such powers for those horrible things? You could've helped your tribe. You could've been like Jag-"

"Don't you dare!" Black Widow roared, whipping around and baring her teeth at Hare. "Jaguar was an idiot! I would never be like him."

"Jaguar was much more suited for animus magic than you," Hare snarled.

Black Widow bristled and narrowed her eyes to tiny slits. "Jaguar was a fool."

She lashed her tail again and continued her circles around Hare. "I'd kill you now, but I know that's not possible. I know about your little protector, one of those star-ridden good-doers." Black Widow looked at Hare, meeting her eyes as she passed. "Isn't that right, Your Highness?"

She's going to try and break our connection. We need to leave.

I'm glad we finally agree.

Hare was about to close her eyes when Mystery snapped at her.

No! Act normal, don't let Black Widow suspect anything. I'll get you out of here.

"Don't you find it quite odd that this mystery dragon of yours keeps bringing you back to a place where you're being hunted like prey?" Black Widow said. "After all, shouldn't a dragon from so high above care more about your safety than your precious destiny?"

"Some things are more important than others," Hare replied.

"But you don't think that." Black Widow's tongue flicked out again as she spoke. "I know as well as you do that you hate this, every moment of it. You think your fate is stupid, and why must it be you? Why not someone more fit for the job? Why keep throwing yourself in danger for a fate that you know next to nothing about? You don't even know why you're here. Why must you keep coming back?" She stopped and looked dead into Hare's eyes. "Why do you keep bringing her here, O-"

Hare's eyes snapped open. She was back in the treehouse with her friends, and the sun was beginning to rise.

Nobody else was up yet, so Hare buried her nose under her talons and tried to ease herself back into sleep. As she let her thoughts wander, she realized Black Widow was definitely right about one thing.

Why must it be her?