Meeting Ambroseus

Inside the antlered serpent, Ambroseus sat at a table, his face covered by a hood as he waited for Gwyn to arrive. Outside of the window he sat next to, a small flash of light appeared and quickly disappeared. Gwyn then entered and sat down in the booth. She was wearing her own cape and hood.

"You have 30 seconds" she sternly told him.

"30 seconds?" He questioned.

"It's a whole lot longer then what you given me and Ballister" she resorted.

"I'm here to save you" he told her, pulling his hood down more to keep his face hidden from anyone else in the bar.

"You are so full of-"

"Hey, can I get you guys something?" A waiter asked politely, interrupting Gwyn's sentence, which she was kinda grateful for.

"Nachos!" Both yelled in unison, causing the poor waiter to jump.

"Please" Ambroseus added in a much softer tone.

The waiter started to leave as Gwyn remembered something important.

"And hold the olives" she called out to him.

"He's allergic..." she added in a soft, almost shy tone.

Ambroseus nervously looked around to see if anyone was listening in on their conversation. Once he decided it was safe, he leaned closer to her.

"Gwyn, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't important" he whispered.

"And I wouldn't be here if you'd stood up for me and Ballister" she argued.

"That is not fair" he told her.

"We're done" she told him before seeing the director on a TV. "And so is she."

"There's something I need to tell you."

"Hey, turn that up!" A man shouted and the volume on the TV was turned up.

On the screen, the director stood at a podium, in front of the press.

"Citizens of the realm, that is not me in the recording. I know it looks like me and sounds like me, but it is not me. That was the monster working with the real Queen killers: Ballister and Gwyneth" she said as a video of all three of them fighting.

"They are trying to trick you" she added as Gwyn's jaw dropped.

"What? She's lying" she told Ambroseus, looking at him for a brief second before looking back at the TV.

"We are under attack by something that can take any form.  It could be anyone. Your spouse, your child, your best friend, the person sitting next to you. None of us are safe so long as the villains and that monster is still out there" she added, showing a video of Nimona turning into a younger version of herself.

Around the bar, people started moving away from eachother, couples hid their faces in their phones. Gwyn saw all their reactions and brushed her hair back.

"She's twisting everything! Ambroseus, you have to believe me. We are not the villains here" she told the knight.

"I know. I know. He told her, putting his hands up a little before putting one hand on her's.

"I believe you."

Gwyn was shocked.

"Y-you do?" She asked.

He nodded.

"I....I'm sorry. For everything. For Ballister's arm, not protecting you" he apologized as their eyes met.

"You were manipulated, I was manipulated. Heck, even Bal was Manipulated! But together, we can end this and prove it to the kingdom" he added before putting Ballister's sword on the table.

"Bal will be a knight again. And we can go back to how things were before."

Gwyn sighed and smiled at him.

"Thank you. You don't know how much this means to me. The director can't get away-"

"The director?" Ambroseus asked in confusion.

"Yeah, isn't that who we were talking about?" she asked.

He sighed before saying "Gwyn, I'm talking about your niece. Your niece set you up."

"What?" She asked, not believing him.

"This was all her plan. All of it. She's evil, Gwyn."

"E-evil?" She questioned, pulling her hand away.

"No. No. This can't be right. We've been wrong about everything" she told him.

"Wrong about everything? Then explain this" he told her, pulling out an ancient scroll and putting it on the table.

"This scroll has been in the institute vaults for a thousand years."

On the scroll was a drawing of a dark monster. Gloreth pointed her sword at it's heart. And inside of the heart was a little girl. Gwyn's eyes wided.

"Look at it. It's her, Gwyn. She's Gloreth's monster. She's come back to finish what she started and she's using you and Bal to do it" Ambroseus explained.

"But she's my friend" Gwyn told him, shaking her head.

"Aren't I more than that?" He asked.

"Of course you are!"

"Then we can slay this monster. We can go back to the way things were" he told her.

"She's not a monster! She's just a child wanting acceptance in a world that hates her!" Gwyn argued before standing up.

"This was a mistake" she added before she started leaving.

"Gwyn please" he pleaded before he went after her.

"No, I can't do this. I'm done!"

"Listen to me!" He said, grabbing the scroll.

"She's using you to destroy the kingdom!" He told her as he ran after her.

He was ignored as she continued to leave.

"You know what she is! Stop!" He called out as they entered the dark alley. 

"Why won't you admit it? your in danger!" He asked as he grabbed her sensitive side.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?!" She asked, carefully pushing him away, causing Ballister's sword and the scroll to fall on the ground.

Ambroseus panted as he looked at her as she carefully grabbed her side.

"Because I love you" he told her.

She looked at him in silence. Her heart pinched in pain. He still loved her. She had honestly thought that, after everything, their relationship would be over. As if her heart had taken control of her body, she ran into his arms and kissed him, the palms of her hands rested on his cheeks. Ambroseus was completely caught off guard by the kiss. But that didn't mean that he didn't welcome it. Slowly, he kissed her back and wrapped his arms around her waist, being careful not to touch her sensitive side again. After a moment, she pulled away from their kiss and backed away from the golden knight.

"I love you too, Ambroseus. But one day everyone will realize that the world isn't as it's said to be and that wall will come down" she told him, failing to see Todd hiding around the corner.

She sighed before she ran off. Todd smiled as he left.