Chapter One

No turning back,
No backing down.
No where to run,
No solid ground.
No place to hide,
No one to trust.
No one to help you,
When you're lost.
There's only us.
It's all in your hands,
Hold on,
Hold back the darkness.
Gotta take a stand,
It's all in your hands.

My alarm blares loudly, pulling me from an oddly peaceful sleep. I pick up my phone to snooze my alarm and pull the blanket over my head, not quite ready to start the day. As I move to shift my body, I realize my legs are tangled with something. I flop the blanket off my head and smile at the softly snoring pile of blankets at my feet, a well manicured hand peeking out. This isn't the first time I've awakened at Regina's since the curse broke and I'm sure it won't be the last. We sipped wine while we helped each other tackle overdue paperwork with all chaos going on lately. Nothing untoward or hostile ever happens, it's amazing how far we've come; she's honestly the best friend I've ever had. While she may not ever admit it, I know she feels the same way about me. She's making such great strides to put her darkness on the shelf; I must say that I adore her grumpiness and bitchy streak. It's her signature... she's beautiful, smart, witty, and mine-- my best friend, my life was so empty before Henry showed up at my door and dragged me here to Storybrooke. Magic is still a new concept in my reality but the trade-off is worth it, Henry and the mayor are worth it, even for this cynic. This last year has been one hell of a ride... my son found me, I found and saved my parents, I've made some good friends, and I've become quite fond of Henry's other mother. I know I've grown on her even if she'd never admit it.

Regina's feet begin to kick and wiggle lightly and she slowly peels away the blanket covering her face. Even upon waking, Regina is a knockout; it's almost intimidating when you think about it, she validates the phrase "wicked gorgeous".  According to science in our world, some of the most beautiful species are also some of the deadliest. She'd die laughing if she heard those words because while she was once a dangerous person, it didn't negate the good person she used to be. I see something inside her so many don't, I always have. She's a good person underneath it all... Maybe it's a byproduct of being the Savior but I believe that she's working to change.
My alarm blares once again and Regina grumbles softly.
"Turn.. it.. off."
"Morning, sunshine." I giggle as I turn the alarm off, "you're very you this morning."
"Ditto," she smiles sleepily before yawning and stretching, "and, good morning to you, Em-ma." Surprisingly, a chill shoots up my spine. She sits up and props against the arm of the couch, smiling.
"You were right, this thing IS comfy. How have I never noticed?"
"I thought it was because 'you're a queen and bit more refined'." I offer teasingly, she playfully swats my arm.
"Very cute."
"Wanna grab Granny's before heading in?"
"Absolutely!"
---------------
"Emma? Did you ever get to that file brought to you by D.A. Spencer?" Regina asks.
"Yeah... well, I mean, I skimmed it before falling asleep last night. It's definitely high priority."
"High priority? How so?" She asks, sipping her coffee.
"Corpses without hearts have been found in the forest."
"Excuse me?" She gasps, her jaw slightly agape.
"I know, right? Totally brutal."
"They were carved out?"
"I'm not sure, the file wasn't clear. Besides, this is Maine... probably some campers that got nabbed by bears near the town line."
"Yes... of course. I'm sure you're right, dear."
My phone begins to ring and I decline the call.
"Hey, you okay?"
"Yes, dear. I'm fine! Look, I should probably head to town hall. I have to prepare for this month's council meeting."
My phone rings, again. It's Dr. Whale.
"You sure? I can walk you..."
"Please, Miss Swan, that's not necessary. Go on, I'll see you later."
"O-Okay. See ya at lunch, Gi." I say as I head to my bug.
----------
"This is Sheriff Swan."
"Swan, it's Dr. Whale at Storybrooke Hospital."
"Yes, Victor, hi. How can I help you?"
"I need to discuss the influx of heartless bodies in the morgue."
"What about them? Have you found a cause?"
"No, I haven't."
"How is that possible? You said they were heartless. Case closed."
"There was no external damage of any kind. The bodies were free of abrasions, contusions, wounds, or gashes. The chest cavity undisturbed. After further investigation, we did further scans and tests and found the chest cavity was hollow."
"What do you mean "there is no external damage"? What the hell are you talking about, Whale?"
"I'm saying, Sheriff, that the victims hearts were somehow ripped out of their chests and crushed into dust."
"How the hell could that happen?!"
"I've seen magic like this once before..."
"By who?"
"Your friend the mayor."
"Wha-what?"
"I have to rule of these deaths as CUPPI - circumstances pending police investigation. I'm sorry."
My nostrils flare as the call disconnects.
Regina wouldn't do this... not after everything we've been through. It can't be her... it just can't be.