Chapter Eight

After hours in each other's arms, Emma conceded to running down to Aesop's Tables to pick up a very late dinner for us to enjoy. I've never felt so content or safe before, Emma always makes me feel like I'm important. She somehow always puts me first. As I set the table and pour the wine, the lights flicker before they shut off and the air in the dining room is suddenly chilly; an eerie shiver climbs up my spine.
"Hello, Regina..." Cora croons before manifesting in the foyer, her presence snuffs the candles out.
"M-Mother! Y-You can't be here..." I whine as Cora backs me into the wall, she gently strokes my cheek and I feel sickened by her touch.
"Leave, now!"
I attempt to blast her back with my magic but it's paralyzed by my fear.
"Darling, enough theatrics," she coos before conjuring vines to pin me to the wall.
"Mother, STOP THIS!" I whimper as her magic rips into me forcefully. "Let me go!"
"Your begging is unbecoming for a Queen, Regina. It looks like I have work to do.... insolence will not be tolerated, is that understood?!" She snarls as she pushes her fingers into my wounds.
"NO!!!" I scream at the rough contact, "p-please no!!!" I kick my legs as hard as I can, tears of rage fall down my cheeks.
"You're too pretty to cry, Regina. But, what more could I expect from a woman that thrives on love, on weakness." She hisses as she plunges into me roughly.
"No, ah-- p-please!!! I-It hurts, Mother! I don't want this..."
"Stop whining like a petulant child, Regina..." The vines tighten and I feel panic rising within me, "the harder you fight, the harder you'll be punished. You have no idea the hold my magic has on you, Regina."
"Fuck you, witch!!! HELP M-!"
She strangles me with her magic as I struggle against my bindings, my vision becomes spotty with darkness and all I can think about is Emma. Her eyes, her laugh... how I'll never see her, again.
"Gina?!" A voice screams through the doorway, paper bags falling to the floor. "Gi?! Get the hell away from her, witch!!!!!" Cora is thrown into the wall and bounces, I suddenly feel the bindings evaporate and I'm gently placed on the floor by Emma's magic as Cora lands roughly in the floor. Emma sprints through the foyer throwing brilliant, white magical blasts at Cora. I fall to the floor in a heap and I gasp and wretch violently, massaging my throat gently.
"Regina, GO! Get out of here!!! What did you do to her?!" Emma screams, continuing to hurl spells at the old crone. Cora laughs darkly as Emma closes in on her.
"Gina, NOW! Get the hell out of here!" She screams as she lifts the cornered woman by her neck, her emotion getting the best of her.
"What the hell did you do to her, witch?!" She grips Cora's collar, shaking her.
"E-mma! St-op!!" I gasp, knowing my mother like the back of my hand, "Emma, no! Get away from her!" Emma glances back at me, it's like everything is moving in slow motion as my heart beats in my ears.
"I'll kill you! I'll fucking kill you for hurting my love."
"Your love? Oh! You foolish girl. Don't you know? Love is weakness." Glee shimmers in her eyes as she chuckles melodically.
"Emma, look out! Emma, NO!!!" I scream forcefully. Confusion flits across Emma's face as she holds my gaze a moment too long.
Cora takes this opportunity to conjure a blade before running Emma through with it and twisting it brutally, Emma gasps and sputters painfully. Blood from Emma's mouth sprays a fine mist on Cora's face.
"Some Savior...." Cora chuckles darkly as she unsheaths the blade from Emma's body and she falls with a thud. Her blood dripping on the floor in a sickening mosaic against the marble. Cora licks her lips with a psychotic smile, studying the blood on her gloved hand.
"Down in one blow..." Cora tuts, "such a pity. And, a pretty thing too," she sighs as she taps her face with the bloody blade, Emma twitches and groans before finally collapsing.
"EMMA!!" I scream as I run to catch her and she looks into my eyes, her bleary eyes fighting to focus.
"R'gina?  It's okay... s'okay now..." she says weakly, "I couldn't let her..."
"Shh... it's okay, Emma. You're gonna be okay, i just have to fix this." I sob as I wave my hand over her wound, she won't heal.
"Fuck! My magic, I- w-why isn't it working?"
"Because, it wasn't meant to."
"Don't say that, baby. You're gonna be fine!"
"You can't know that..."
"I have faith, Emma. You'll be okay, I promise! I just have to get you out of here!"
"No, Regina. I won't... but you will be." Her eyes begin to flutter, losing focus.
"No, Emma! No! Please don't do this! I love you!"
"I did wh-what I was meant to..."
"Baby, don't talk like that! Save your strength okay? I just have to--"
"Y-you know you're loved and that's enough, princess; you have always been e-enough, G-Gina... I'm better because you're in my life." She wheezes raggedly, "saving y-you, saves ev'ryone. You can b-be a hero... I l-lov-...." she sighs before her eyes go lifeless and her pupils go black, her final breath rattling in her chest.
"Emma?" I whimper. Her breath is but a rattle as it leaves her body and her head slumps to the side, "Oh my God, Emma?!?!" I sob as I shake her gently, " E-Emma? EMMA!!? No! Please... Please don't leave me! Please! I love you! MOTHER, NO!!! NO!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!" Regina wails in agony over Emma's lifeless body, burying her face in her chest, willing it to draw breath.
"P-Please don't leave me, Emma... I'm so sorry!" She weeps until her tears fall silently, her sorrow slowly warping into fury.
For the second time in Regina's life, Cora took great satisfaction in murdering her daughter's love. After gently laying Emma before her, Regina stands from her place on the floor and turns toward Cora with a vicious expression on her face. Her rage flickers inside her, warming her from the inside out "you wanted me to be Queen, Mother? Well... here she is..." Regina charges toward the witch and tackles her bodily with a forceful grunt. Cora disapparates them around the room, slamming Regina into the walls, picture frames and mirrors shatter and splinter all along the foyer as plaster and drywall fall into the floor. Regina is tossed into the marble staircase and the wind is knocked from her lungs, her rage building and building.

As she gasps for breath, Cora slowly comes into focus as she hovers over the seemingly defeated Queen. Regina attempts to throw fire from her hands but Cora surpresses the flame long enough for her to shove her hand into Regina's chest wrapping her cold, spindly fingers around Regina's heart.
"You won't ever learn, will you?" Cora chuckles darkly, "I keep telling you, Regina. Love is weakness..." Regina grunts forcefully as Cora attempts to rip her heart out but it won't budge, she attempts once more to no avail. Regina has a sudden realization as Cora leaves her hand in her chest, an intense blend of love and joy builds within her as she begins to smile.
"No, Mother..." Regina finally says, "you're wrong. After all of these years and the selfless sacrifice of my True Love. I finally get it. Love? Love is strength!" she says softly before a force of brilliant white light knocks Cora back, unconscious. Regina rests her hand over her heart, finding great joy in feeling it beat. Her joy then crashes around her like fragile glass when she turns to find Emma's lifeless body in the floor. Regina limps to Emma and falls to her knees, pulling Emma's body into her lap resting Emma's head on her chest. Regina gently strokes Emma's cheek, studying her face so she never forgets what she she looks like; haunted by memories of lost love past, Regina weeps over Emma as she resigns herself to her fate.
"I'm so sorry, Emma..." Regina whispers before kissing her forehead, her tears falling on Emma's face, "you were never meant to be the price I paid for casting the c-curse... baby, I am so sorry. I love you... I'll always love you." Her tears fall and land on Emma's bloody face.
Suddenly, a strangled, desperate gasp startles her back to the moment and Regina looks down to find Emma sitting alert in her arms. Very much alive and seemingly healing before her eyes.
"Regina?!" she exclaims, picking herself up off the floor.
"E-Emma!?" Regina sobs happily, she falls back against the wall to brace herself as she sobs. I run to her and throw arms around her and she cries harder.
"I'm so sorry, Emma! I-..."
"It's okay, baby... I'm right here, it's okay."
I flinch at her gentle touch, shocked that her spirit is corporeal.
"I-I-I saw you die!?"
"No, princess. I'm okay!" She says softly as she touches my face.
"W-Why did you do that?! You scared me half to death!" I shout, shoving her chesr.
"I'm s-sorry... I couldn't let her hurt you, again! I promised to keep you safe, Gina."
And, for the third time in my life... I hit her. I slapped her across the face and she holds her cheek, soothing the skin.
"Ow! Shit, Regina... what the hell?"
Once my brain finishes processing, I suddenly feel fearful.
"E-Emma, I-I'm sorry!" My voice trembles, "please don't be angry... I-I don't know what came over me."
She reaches out to touch me and I flinch away from her.
"Hey, you're okay... it's okay, Gina." Emma says softly with her hands in a surrendering gesture, "are you hurt, honey?" She examines the cuts and bruises on my face, arms, and hands.
"I-- no, it's nothing..." I sniffle, my insides feel ready to shatter. I want to crawl out of my skin and burn it...
"W-We need to handle her first." My voice sounds dark and cold, my Evil Queen persona attempting to shine through.
"Regina, I-"
"Summon Blue, she can imbue the jail cell with magic similar to how they trapped Rumple... then get to the hospital and have Whale take a look at you." My voice is familiar yet that of a stranger, "I'll take care of her..."
"No, Your Majesty..." Emma offers kindly, "I'll handle the witch, you take care of your needs until I return. And, when I get back, I'll take care of you."
"I'm sorry, Your Majesty?" My heart flutters, I never thought I'd hear those words come out of her mouth.
"Yes, ma'am. That is who you are, after all." Her smile is soft and sweet. She then stands before Cora and transports them both to Mr. Gold's shop and they disappear in a swirl of white light.
Once I'm certain I'm alone, I hug myself tightly and sob in the silence as I make my way to the study. I have to protect the manor from further attack in case The Wasp fails.