Chapter Four

My magic thunders in the foyer as I appear in a swirl of white light.
"Whoa! I-I made it?"
God, what am I doing? I've spent the last two years stifling my growing feelings toward Regina and now I'm running to her rescue... as if. As if she needs to be rescued. My friend... the Evil Queen. But, is she really evil? That moment I saw between her and her mother only confirmed my original observations of her when I first came to Storybrooke. That she isn't evil... she's traumatized. What the hell happened to her? Against my better judgement, I force myself forward to find her. The manor is eerily quiet as my boots click against the marble, it echoes throughout and carries up the staircase.

"Regina?"
A shuffle comes from the study.
"Hey, Regina? You okay?"
The clanking of crystal against hardwood.
"Hey, Mills! You okay?"
Silence.
"Gina, I'm coming in..."
I push the heavy door open and I find Regina curled up on the leather chaise under a blanket, soft sobs coming through the soft material. Her cider decanter is empty and tipped over.
"Jesus, Gi." I sigh sadly.
I step out of my boots and pad across the floor to sit at her feet, stroking her hip gently.
"Regina?" I offer softly, "Regina? Hey, you okay?"
"Mmm..."
Gina? It's Emma. Are you okay?"
"Emma?" Her typically husky voice is soft and fragile, something I'd never heard before.
"Yeah, Gina. I'm here. I'm right here."
"You didn't forgets me, Emma...." she sniffles as she sits up sloppily. Since when is this woman less than elegant or eloquent?
"You're my best friend, how could I ever forget you?"
"M-Mother says I'm not particularly extraordinary. Or beautiful. Easily forgettable. Wretched, weak, and needy."
"Your mother is a piece of work! Nothing she told you is true." I growl but she flinches at the force of my voice and cries once more, "oh shit, hey.. I'm sorry. Please don't cry, it's okay."
I hold her close as she grips my red leather jacket, crying into the crook of my neck.
"E-Emma, I'm scared...." there it is again. She sounds so... innocent.
"Of what, sweetheart?"
"C-Cora..."
"Why are you afraid of Cora?" I ask gently as I rub soothing circles into her back.
"I'll show you..." she says before resting her forehead on mine. Within an instant, I feel a jolt of magic and suddenly Regina's memories are stitching themselves into my mind. Infinite acts of cruelty were inflicted on her...

"You can't eat that Regina, you're getting fat darling."
"Pretty things are not for ugly little girls, Regina."
"You're becoming an old maid! Look at you... every girl your age has taken a husband."
"Stop crying, you insolent child! Accept your consequences like the queen you'll be."
"Mother, please! Why can't I play with the other girls?"
"Regina, you're to be Queen. And, Queen's will always find productive ways to spend their time. You do wish to find a husband don't you?"
"But-- I'm only nine."
Cora closes her fist and punches Regina in the mouth, she falls back on the floor sobbing. She reaches to touch her lip and her hand is covered in blood; her mouth has a deep, open cut tearing into her upper lip.
"I will not tolerate insolence." She scowls before leaving Regina in the floor.
---
Mother, PLEASE! No!!! Stop it! I don't like when you use magic!
"And, I don't like insolence. Regina, you MUST learn submission.... I'll stop using magic when you become an obedient woman."
"Why can't I just BE myself, Mother?! Why am I not enough for you?!"
"Please stop! Stop touching me like that, Mother... I-.. it hurts! I don't want this!"
"This will never be about you, dear. Get used to this fact."
-----
"DANIEL, NO!!!! MOTHER WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!??"
"You stupid, ungrateful girl... Love is weakness, Regina... "
"You KILLED him, Mother!"
"I'm HELPING you! Everything I've ever done has been for you."
"You're insane, I-I don't want to be Queen!"
"Oh, you will, my love. In time..."
-----
"Mother, please don't make me do this... please! I-... I can't!"
"Stop your sniveling, Regina. You are not only Queen, you are his wife."
"But, I do not love him, Mother!"
Mother slaps me hard enough for my eyes to water, I feel so utterly defeated.
"It is your duty as his wife.... you have no other choice."
-----
"I will NEVER conceive an heir with him, Mother! You cannot make me do this!"
"You MUST! How will you ever maintain control of the kingdom without having borne an heir?"
"I don't want it, Mother! I don't want any of this!"
"Is this about that stable boy? Honestly, Regina... when did you become so weak?"
"This is about ME, Mother! It's MY life!!! Why can't you understand?!" I sob as I pick up the goblet from my vanity, "why can't you understand that I'm unhappy?"
"It is you that doesn't seem to understand, Regina. The King wishes for you to bear his child and you have no choice."
"That's where you're wrong..." I snarl before drinking the contents of the goblet, "I do have a choice..." I chuckle darkly, tipping the empty goblet over.
"You... you cursed yourself barren?"
"It's the one choice I've gotten to make in my entire life. I finally won, Mother. I finally- ugh!" I'm suddenly hit with a sharp pain in my heart and stomach, it steals my breath as I fall in the floor.
"You foolish, stupid girl.... never forget... this was your choice." She leaves me lying on the cold stone floor, alone.
----
I reach out unconsciously to touch her face, I feel my thumb graze the scar on her lip. Regina, then, climbs into my lap as my eyes flutter open and she nuzzles into my chest, slowly rocking herself. It's odd, she's never been so physical she's not the biggest fan of being touched.
"Regina, are you feeling okay?"
"I- yes, I'm sorry..." she sighs, "I'm being ridiculous..."
"No, don't be I just... how are you feeling?"
"I dunno..." she huffs childishly, "weird..."
"You can talk to me, Gina. How are you feeling...?"
"I dunno... I just feel weird, Emma."
"I mean, are you afraid?"
"Yes."
"And, does Cora make you feel unsafe?"
"Y-Yes!"
"How can I help?"
"You alweady are, silly! You're here, I like when you're wiff me. And, being held by you is my new favorite thing! I feel safe."
She's never said that to me before...
"I'm so glad that I can do that for you, sweetheart. Listen... how would you feel if I.. helped take care of you? When you feel this way?"
"W-Why would you do dat?"
"Because I... love you, Gina. You're a wonderful person..."
"No, I'm not. I'm evil..."
"That's not true, Gi."
"But..."
"No, you're a good girl Regina."
"Fanks, Ma--" she freezes, "Emma..."
"Of course, sweetheart," I kiss the top of her head and I bury my nose in her hair, "I'm right here, Gina. I'm not going anywhere."
I can feel her relax in my embrace as she flips the zipper pull on my jacket, resting her head on my chest in a comfortable silence
"E-Emma?"
"Yes?"
"Didja means it?"
"Mean what?"
"That you love me?"
"Of course I meant it."
"But... what if I love you too?"
"That would make me so happy."
"No, Emma!" her chocolate brown eyes shimmer despite the grumpy pout on her face, "I mean, I really love you!"
"I know, darling. I love you, too."
"NO!!! I means I love you like I love Daniel but more... wayyyy more!"
I tuck a strand of dark hair behind her ear before cupping her cheek gently, "I know... I'm in love with you, too."
She studies my eyes and expression for any hint of a lie and she accepts my words as truth before kissing me fiercely, something within me begins to hum and vibrate. Her hands slip under my jacket and she caresses my lower back, almost instantly I can feel her strength returning. I wrap my arms around her waist to pull her close as I nip at her bottom lip gently; I slip my tongue past her lips, earning a sweet and needy moan. Suddenly, we're both hit with a warm and welcoming force followed by a flash of white light. She pulls away slowly as she catches her breath.
"How long have you known?"
"Since the day I hacked a limb off of your apple tree. You wanted so badly to hate me yet all you could do is respect me. I figured I shouldn't push..."
"You knew you could win me and you didn't?"
"Regina... you aren't a conquest or a notch on my bed post or a prize to be won. You're someone I've slowly fallen for over this past two years."
"But, what I-I've done...."
"You'd serve 5 years probation minimum in this realm. What you've been through.... it warrants extreme emotional distress. I don't condone your actions, Regina. But, I completely understand them. If you were born of this realm, I could promise you that Cora would've been locked away long ago. And, the so-called King? I should show you articles about Lorena Bobbitt. "
"Emma, I'm afraid...."
"I know, Regina. But, I'm right here with you. I won't let her harm you."
"I can't let you get hurt... I'd never forgive myself."
"Regina, I would do anything to keep you safe."
"I don't deserve you, Emma."
"You must if we shared True Love's Kiss."
"You felt it to?"
"I've waited my entire life to feel this complete."
"And, I've waited two lifetimes to finally feel safe."
"You aren't just safe... you and little Gina need to know that you're also free."
"Free..." she echoes softly before a smile spreads across her beautiful face.
"Free. Free to be whatever you wish."
"Even ifs I wanna be a little girl wiff you, sometimes."
"I would love that, sweetheart. May I ask you something?"
"Mkay."
"Earlier, you were going to call me something before you called me by my name. What was it?"
Her cheeks blush a deep crimson and she twirls her hair around her finger.
"I... almost called you Mama."
"Would you like that?"
Yes, pease! It's like Emma but diff'rent!" she smiles happily.
"And, what would like me to call you?"
"I like eberyfing you call me. Like, Gina and sweetheart and baby..."
"I'm glad, honey."
"Ooh, I like that one too! But, could you m-maybe... call me princess?"
"Absolutely. As long as it makes you happy!!!"
She kisses me once more, much more sweetly before whispering,
"I love you, Mama."
"I love you, too princess." Her face brightens and her smile touches her eyes, I've never seen so much joy on her face.
"Can we have a sleepover?! Henry's wiff the idiots right?"
"Gina! That's not a nice word!"
"But, dey are!!" she whines.
"That's a big Gina word not a Little Gina word."
"Kay. But, they are sillyheads aren't dey?"
"Yes, little one, they are." I giggle before texting Snow and David my plan to guard Regina before turning my phone off. I stand to offer Regina my hand, "C'mon, honey. Let's get you some water and into something comfy."
"Will you pick for me?"
"Me?"
"Yes! You always wear comfy stuffs!" She sways a little as she stands.
"Have you been drinking, Gina?"
"Y-Yes..."
"Okay, we'll add a snack to the to-do list too."
"Kay." She sighs as she leans against me. She gasps in shock as I scoop her into my arms bridal style and transport us upstairs in a flurry of white light.
"Your magic is pretty, Mama."
"So is yours, little one. You're so powerful."
"She said I was weak... because I loved. Am I weak, Mama?"
"No, Gina... you're so strong. You choose each day to walk a lighter path, you didn't just change for Henry, Gina... you did it for yourself. You wanted to fix who you were, heal her, and maybe move forward as a better version."
"How'd'ja know dat?"
"Because, I'm lucky enough to know you. I try to pay attention. I began to notice in Neverland."
"I knows... you make me feel important."
"You are important."
"Not cuz I'm s'posed to be a queen but cuz I'm me."
"That's very true, little one. I remember when I all saw was Madame Mayor but I saw Regina the moment you took Henry into your arms."