Chapter Sixteen

After saying our goodnights to Henry, Emma leans against the wall almost hesitantly.
"So? See you in the morning? Bright & early?" She says softly.
"Absolutely," I reply before taking her hand and heading up the hall, "let's go."
"Gina? My room is the other way."
"No, Emma. That's the guest room and it's empty."
"But--"
"No buts, little duck."
"I like when you call me that..." she whispers.
"Good, that makes me happy." I say as I open the door to the master suite. Emma studies the room and smiles when she notices her pillow and her duck plush.
"Emma?"
"Yeah, Gi?"
"I wanna be a couple."
"Really?"
"Very much. I've wanted that for a very long time."
"So have I, Regina. Pretty much since I met you!"
"Well, it's official then." I can't help the girlish smile spreading across my face.
"What?" Emma chuckles, "what are you smiling about?"
"Nothing, I just... I really wanna cuddle with you in our bed."
"Well, why didn't you say so!" Emma laughs before running and jumping onto the bed, "get ova' heeere!" She says in a playful accent.
God, I love this woman...
--------
As the sun begins to rise and peek through the window, I slowly awaken in Emma's arms; as soon as I begin to stir, she pulls me closer and kisses the top of my head.
"Good morning, Emma. C'mon! We've gotta get up!"
"Just a few more minutes, Gi...' she whines, "please?"
"We promised Henry that we'd have Granny's before school, dear."
"Mm, can't let the kid down."
"You wouldn't miss out on chocolate chip pancakes, either."
"Damn right!" she giggles before kissing the top of my head.
"Your love of food always makes me smile for some stupid reason."
"Food makes me happy!" Emma smiles.
"And, I love seeing you happy, Emma."
"I love seeing you happy, Gina."
"You realize you're the only person on Earth to ever call me that and live?"
"I do, actually. But, it suits you, Gi."
"And, I love that one too." I giggle, "it's silly but back home, everything was so... formal. I never had a nickname, people hardly said my name at all."
"Your sense of formality is endearing. It makes your more informal comments that much more delightful."
"Delightful, huh?"
"Yeah, it sounds weird coming out of my mouth."
"It made you sound like your mother."
"God, help me..."
--------------
"Moms, did you mean it? Can we still go on a Halloween road trip?!"
Emma and I look at one another, nodding in agreement.
"Yes, Henry! We can go on the Halloween road trip."
"This year?"
"It'll take some steep planning, but I don't see why not." I say before taking a sip of coffee, "would you like to see if your grandparents would like to join us?"
Emma chokes on her drink of orange juice.
"Whoa, what?"
"I'd like for your parents to come. Ruby, too."
"A-Are you serious?"
"Would it be a bad thing?"
"Absolutely not. I just... never thought you'd wanna travel with them."
"Snow and I traveled plenty but I wasn't... well, I wasn't myself and I'd like to rectify it."
"Mom, that would be SO COOL! Like a real family vacation! Can we, Ma?!" Henry asks excitedly.
"Can we what?" Ruby asks as she comes to refill our drinks.
"Go on a road trip for Halloween. Are you in, Ruby?" Henry asks.
"Me? Really? Hell yeah!"
-------
"Belle, any more information regarding the curse on Regina's heart? Or the prophecy?"
"Well, yes and no..."
"Explain."
"The Creator is not to be feared but the Creator does have an equally dark counterpart that has power even in this world without magic."
"But, Gold brought magic here... how does that-?"
"No, I mean out there.... completing the prophecy means that this realms magic has been released. It would seem its much more ancient than we thought. We must be cautious."
"And, the Curse?"
"I think I may be getting closer to the origin."
"Look, even Blue said it was older than she AND Rumple."
"Snow, who the hell are we dealing with?"
"I don't know, Belle, but things are definitely gonna change around here."
"Have faith in Emma and Regina. They'll protect us."
"I know that... but, at what cost?"
My phone chimes, interrupting our call.
"Hey, it's Emma. Can I call you back, Belle?"
"Just come to the library when you're finished."
---------
"Emma? Hey, I got your text. What's going on?"
"Well, actually.... would you and David like to go on vacation with us?"
"Us?"
"Henry, Regina, and I... Ruby, too."
"What?"
"Us, vacation... road trip?"
"Emma, I--"
"Look, I know I've been weird lately; I know I was pouty after Neverland, but... I'd love to have this quality time with you, Mom. Dad, too. Regina and Henry are so excited and they'd love for you both to join us."
"You're serious?"
"It's my idea, Swan!" Regina laughs, "Snow, don't let her steal MY idea! Please come with us!" Her laugh is lighter and more airy, it reminds me of when I was girl. I'd always wondered what Regina might've been like in her youth and it looks like I have an opportunity to experience that in part. And, this will be our first trip with our daughter.
"Alright, alright you two! We'll go! Ruby couldn't handle all three of you alone!"
"We're working out our plan this evening over dinner at the Manor," Regina says, "will you join us?"
"Of course, Regina, that sounds lovely. Maybe we could talk... after Henry goes to bed."
"I think that's a great idea, I think it would be a good time."
"What time should we be there?"
"5:30p sharp!"
"We'll see you then. Bye, Regina!"
I text Ruby about dinner and ask her to meet me at the library before slipping my phone into my pocket before heading to the library to meet Belle. Maybe we're going about this research all wrong. We shouldn't be studying books from our realm....
--------
Belle is pleasantly surprised at my realization at shifting our research toward this realm.
"Magic does exist in this world but it presents itself differently. Otherwise, the fantastical could never occur here in Storybrooke," Belle exclaims, "the power exists within what they call ley lines."
"What the hell is a ley line?" Ruby asks.
"Ley lines are kind of like latitudinal and longitudinal lines in one sense: They're not lines we can actually see in the real world. But the theory is that big, important monuments are all running on a kind of energy highway that "connects" them."
"How is this relevant?"
"To start, Storybrooke was created on one of these hotspots. Some claim that ley lines are energy lines that carry a powerful magnetic field, while others say they hold a psychic power. The power of the New Era will permeate these ley lines and could easily awaken magic everywhere, not just here in Maine!"
"So, Emma and Regina are meant to protect those afflicted by this rogue magic?"
"Would they be aware of this destiny?"
"Not necessarily." Rumple interrupts,  "Destiny doesn't hold much value in this world. But, those directly involved in the prophecy may feel a compulsion to go elsewhere; call it wanderlust if you like."
"Gold, do you know who gave Cora that curse?"
"No. But, I have a few ideas."
"Care to share?"
"Not at this moment."
"That's typical."
"Rumple, please... if you know something, share it. You owe Regina that much."
"What are you talking about?"
"Cora and I.... had a quite sordid past. Some might say she's the only being to ever outdo the Dark One and live."
"You?"
"Yes. And, if I'm right, Cora made contact with the darkest magic to ever exist."
"Who created the curse?"
"I truly do not know. But, I do know that this prophecy is based upon duality; dark and light..."
"This prophecy is also based on love! Love more true than we've witnessed in our realm, something so great that it could only manifest in a world with the most ancient of magic." Belle interjects, she can see the worry etched on my face.
"T-That means this realm hosts such ancient magic..."
"They'll be okay, Snow. The prophecy states they shall survive and will reign over the untied realms in peace."
"Yeah, well, its the journey there that makes me nervous."