1-7: Search For Da Shape

EXT. GAS STATION -- HIGHWAY -- DAY

We see a car parked in front of a small, closed-down gas station/diner by the side of the highway.

CAMERA SLOWLY TRACKS over to a phone booth. Loomis is inside on the telephone, "No, not since Thursday. (pause) Yes, yes I'm all right. Stop worrying. After this I'll sleep for a week, two weeks... (pause) I said I'm all right. Believe me. I'll be home soon. Yes I do. Very much. I just... have to stop him... Of course it's possible, but I know him. And when he gets there, God help us. (pause) Right, right, I'll call you. Me too. Goodbye."

Loomis hangs up the phone and steps out of the booth. He looks up the highway. LOOMIS' POV -- HIGHWAY The highway disappears off into the distance.

There is an old weather-beaten sign that reads: HADDONFIELD 73 MILES Just above the horizon huge clusters of clouds, dark and ominous, are blown along by the wind.

EXT. GAS STATION

Loomis turns and walks back to his car. He glances at the old gas station as he walks. LOOMIS' POV -- GAS STATION -- MOVING SHOT.

The building is dark, empty, dilapidated. On the padlocked door are huge marks like the clawing of an animal wanting to get in.

Angle On Loomis, Loomis stops, stares at the door and then slowly walks over to it. He touches the marks with his hands, then looks at the dirt driveway around the building.

LOOMIS' POV -- DRIVEWAY There are definite tire tracks leading from the highway up to the door, then back to the highway again.

Then his gaze returns to a discarded object crushed in the dirt of the driveway: a pack of cigarettes.

ANGLE ON LOOMIS He picks up the cigarette pack. CLOSE SHOT -- CIGARETTE PACK Stuck in the cellophane of the crushed pack are matches: "The Rabbit in Red Lounge -- Entertainment Nightly."

EXT. GAS STATION

Loomis turns and quickly strides back to his car, gets in and roars away from the lonely gas station.

CUT TO: EXT. SCHOOLYARD -- DAY

The playground is filled with CHILDREN just getting out of school for the day. Some are dressed in Halloween costumes, some carry pumpkins and orange and black streamers, some carry Jack-o'-lanterns.

Tommy Doyle comes out of the door carrying a very large pumpkin. He is followed by 3 BOYS, RICHIE, KEITH and LONNIE, who are LAUGHING and pushing him.

"Leave me alone!" Tommy shouts

"He's gonna get you!" Lonnie shouts

Lonnie runs up to Tommy and wiggles his fingers in Tommy's face. The other boys form a circle around Tommy and taunt him. In unison they sing: He's gonna get you, he's gonna get you...

"The Boogeyman is coming!" Lonnie shouts

"No he's not. Leave me alone." Tommy responds

"He doesn't believe us. Don't you know what happens on Halloween?" Lonnie asks

"Yeah, we get candy." Tommy responds

The boys Laugh. Richie runs up to Tommy and makes a face, "Oooooo! The Boogeyman!" Richie shouts

The other boys join in the chant, "The Boogeyman, the Boogeyman, the Boogeyman..."

Tommy turns from them and starts to run away. Richie sticks out his foot. Tommy trips and falls to the concrete, SMASHING his pumpkin beneath him.

Ellie runs over and kicks Lonnie in his ass, "Leave him alone!" She shouts

The other boys run away Giggling and Screaming with delight. Playground Entrance -- GATE As the boys race out of the playground, Richie barrels through the gate and runs right into the dark shape.