Chapter 8: The Spirit of the Islands

The first three days of the circumcision festival were marked by various contests. There were 7 distinct categories that people looked forward to: endurance race, a race of 50 kilometers; hand-to-hand tournament; swordsmanship; weight-lifting; cavalry challenge, concrete challenge and archery. A wrestling tournament was also organized for the newly circumcised. The final was held on the fourth day. Many Islanders have been distinguished from these tournaments. Today, Shen, Damian's main rival was wrestling in what was the final of the tournament with a young man who was visibly bigger than him.

Nimrod was sitting with Damian in the circumcised men's area. They chatted as they watched. Shen's footwork was impeccable and his opponent's size failed to gain the latter an advantage. Many shot to their feet in utter shock when the bigger man somersaulted and fell face flat. Shen struck a confident pose in wait, fists ready. But his opponent didn't get up as expected and the referee stopped the fight. He counted to five. Cheers and applauds rose in Shen's favour.

'He's good,' Nimrod confessed.

Damian didn't like to admit. 'So I heard.'

Nimrod didn't miss the rivalry. 'You wish you could fight him, right?'

'He is lucky.'

Damian was exempted from the tournament as he wasn't fully recovered yet.

Shen went before the royal box. The king's seat was the apex of the tide-like arrangement. He was flanked by Breth and Haneya. Dasirus clapped quietly amidst the screams, whistles and cheers. Ladies threw scented pieces of red fabrics at his feet as he climbed the steps to meet the king. Dasirus touched his shoulder as he bowed and made his exit left.

The Lords were seated below the royal box and to the left. Spotting Lord Xexa with his friend, Lord Zumma, was easy.

'That boy is brilliant, no doubt' Lord Xexa said. Over 20 teneries ago he identified Stanley and Layman from this very tournament when they drew in the final match. He took them as his students and they went on to become Supreme General and Commanding Law Soldier respectively.

'Would you bet him against Damian?'

Xexa shook his head. 'Someone who defeats a riter one on one? You must be joking. I doubt if Shen has the reflex to respond to a riter's parallel attacks.'

'Well, it beats my imagination. But we can find out. How about this? When Damian is well, we can match them in a duel.'

'What will you be betting?' Xexa asked, confidently.

Lord Zumma scratched his dense moustache with a finger. 'I guess it would be... ar...'

Xexa chuckled. 'And I was looking forward to adding another soldier stallion to my stable.'

'So you can punch it to death?'

Zumma was referring to the time Xexa killed a soldier stallion with a single punch, well known in islander history.

Xexa beamed a gracefull smile and said, 'You don't have to worry about that.'

'I have another idea,' Zumma continued, 'Under Layman's training, I believe Shen could grow to beat anybody.'

Xexa reasoned Zumma had a point. 'I intended to place Damian under Layman before. But now, I think I'll hand him over to Stanley. You know, keep them apart from each other for a while.'

'Stanley is not as good a teacher as Layman. Everyone in Simsee knows, ' Zumma reminded.

'Well, Damian does not need as much training as Shen.'

'You are boasting again. You can't be sure.'

'We can bet now if you like.' Xexa drew his sword and raised it for the bet.