Chapter 13: Dasirus and Dravan

The sea rocked the ship gently. The journey was not altogether smooth. Dasirus seemed to have lost a little weight from occasionally vomiting. At this point, they were nearing the port of Thralls. In fact, the bearers had reached the port, and the message was being relayed back. Dasirus was awake, although he pretended to be asleep when Breth came in to check on him.

Breth checked on him frequently. Dasirus knew that Breth might also be regretting the journey now. His younger brother, Massey, was very vocal about his disapproval of the king's decision to visit Kainon.

"Dravan has no right to tell you what to do about Zainox' debt. He is using the letter to summon you. The least you can do now is tell him the debt is not of immediate importance to Zainox. Meinz's military consolidation is none of Zainox' or Kainon's business. The two kingdoms should embark on one if we are not comfortable. Dravan needs to be reminded of his limits. He doesn't care about Zainox or Kainon. He is only using Harmonism and the sanitization of Meinz as his cover. You should be paying more attention to your health now..."

But Massey is not a king. Otherwise, he would have known that the crown is more a position of service than one of authority. In every good decision, the people came first. Besides, his going to Kainon does not necessarily signify his compliance with Dravan's wishes. He had to see Dravan. They had to see face to face, so that they could reach an agreement and end the silent feud. It may not be palpable yet, but it wasn't healthy for the Islands. Dasirus wanted peace. At the same time, he wanted to do what was right. How these two could portend different choices was unnerving. Dravan's suggestion about the sanitization of Meinz was not acceptable. At the same time, would he imperil the rapport between the last two united kingdoms of the Islanders? No! He could almost hear Dravan asking him those same questions. He wished the crown would lighten a little. He remembers how light it used to be... Abigyl. What would she do in this situation? What would Abigly do? He fell into a light sleep and woke up shortly after.

'Your Majesty, we are now in Thralls.' Dasirus picked up his crown, masterfully crafted from gold and encrusted with seven different precious stones, and set it on his head. He grabbed his orb with such nobility that he could as well be king of Kainon. He looked remarkably strong and agile, Breth thought. Father and son rose and exited the cabin.

Dravan's palace looked exactly like his palace in Zainox. The palace complex soared impressively, bearing beautiful reliefs that told heroic stories of long ago on its towers. The place was crowded, everyone awaiting their arrival. From both sides of the gate ran two lines of welcomers up to the entrance staircase. The lines seemed endless owing to the size of the courtyard. The welcomers were radiant in their multiple-colored attires. They carried flowers in baskets secured on their hips. The gates opened with the sound of a trumpet. Dasirus waved as his carriage passed, horses walking the rose-littered path the welcomers made for his entry.

King Dravan and his queen, followed by Maxis, descended the steps to meet their visitors. Behind them were all the Lords. Breth alighted first. He helped his father down to meet the welcoming faces of Dravan and his people.

'Welcome, my friend,' Dravan beamed, approaching with arms spread for a hug.

'Dravan.' Their difference in stature became even more pronounced with the hug. Dravan's head was barely above Dasirus' shoulder.

'Welcome, Your Majesty,' Queen Phyllis, Maxis' mother, saluted after the hug.

'Phyllis, thank you,' Dasirus said warmly. 'Your Royal Highness looks wonderful.'

She blushed. 'Thank you, Your Majesty.'

Dravan broke the pleasantries. 'And this is Breth, I presume.'