Chapter 23: Cracking the Thiocians

Unknown to the messengers from Zainox, Silva had saved their lives. Silva himself didn't know this. A lot happens in the dark. Phrazius knew this more than all the rebels put together.

At this point, however, he did not know whether it was night or day. He had no idea of how much time had passed since his capture. The cave looked the same night and day. The cue did not sound loud enough to pierce the walls of the cave. He wondered what the others were thinking. What were they doing? When he didn't return, what did they do next? He didn't know that the others were dead and the emissary of The Enlightened Soul was being followed.

As Silva and his men entered the cave from above, he steeled himself for the usual. Bound to this concrete chair, it was the only thing he could do. He would not give away the Thiocians' whereabouts. Phrazius did not fear pain. Pain was an old acquaintance.

***

The emissary wrapped himself properly to protect himself from the cold night. He was already aware that he was being followed. He was grateful it was night, and the night was indeed very dark.

He ordered the coachman to turn a certain bend. His stalkers arrived shortly to find the carriage parked. They hid unnecessarily, not knowing the carriage was empty. After a somewhat lengthy wait, they decided to check whether anyone was inside. One of the three men tiptoed closer. Then he received an arrow in the back. He yelled and fell. The other two applied a little more caution. They dashed towards their counterpart as if reflexively, and another arrow came.

And another. And another. All futile.

They shielded themselves expertly. Now they could guess the emissary's position fairly.

The men replied with a few shots, and the emissary's coachman fell with a deathly thud, spilling a quiver full of arrows. There was a rustling of leaves as someone tried to escape. It gladdened them to find it wasn't the emissary they had killed. The two followed in pursuit. Capturing him alive was not going to be easy. They knew he wasn't running for his life, knowing the number of his attackers; he was taking them to a convenient place to face them. The emissary drew his sword as he ran. He was fairly skilled at fighting in the night. Hardly many people were.

***

Phrazius heard the sound of the crutch on the footsteps. He didn't wonder what it meant. Lights crawled around the curved walls of the cave's entrance. Twelve men entered and surrounded him. He didn't raise his eyes from the ground, not even to acknowledge the one standing before him against the crutch. He was steeling himself for the worst. He would give them nothing. He'd rather die.

Silva bent forward, gritting his teeth in pain. He grabbed Phrazius by the shoulder with a startling smack. The Thiocian looked up involuntarily. Silva's face was sufficiently illuminated by the torch behind Phrazius. It was a strange face. He did know this man.

'Do you know who I am?' Phrazius frowned and said nothing.

'My name is Silva,' Silva told him nonetheless.

Silva, the snake, it dawned on Phrazius. He was much younger than he had anticipated and worse... he was alive? Silva the snake was reported to have been thrown off the cliff. Phrazius' eyes travelled the crutch and fear engulfed him. Fear of The Enlightened Soul. Has the rebellion leader also survived? This is probably the ultimate failure. Could Bianza still be alive? Silva's name was known even if his face was not.

'You think we are all dead. Don't you?' Phrazius remained silent.

'Good news: I am alive. You know what it means, don't you?' This is not happening. Silva being alive was as good as any one of the other members. Even if Bianza was not, Silva would not let his dreams die. And Silva was dangerous.