Chapter 20: Meinz

Dasirus spent more and more time in bed. Entertainments tended to exasperate him. Even his medicine seemed to irk him unbearably. Eating was an arduous labour which he would gladly avoid. But Haneya and his children — with the exception of Massey — kept pressure on him to eat and take his medicine.

Massey avoided him for fear of being attacked. Sometimes Massey wondered whether anyone wanted Nimrod back more than he did. He had two reasons why Nimrod should be back. First, he wanted to see him. Second, he wanted to kill him.

***

The message to kill the Zainox messengers arrived in good time.

The Great Lake was miles southeast of Zoan. Steep hillsides bordered the west side of the lake. Someone waited alone on the other side for Phrazius, the Grand Master of the brotherhood of the Thiocians. Phrazius hurried to meet him, dressed in his hooded robe. This could have given him away as a Mystic, so it didn't bother him at all. Most importantly, it was the sanctioned clothes to meet the emissary of the Enlightened Soul.

'Welcome Phrazius,' the man greeted without turning.

'Your Greatness,' Phrazius bowed to him.

The emissary was middle aged with a grossly bearded face. His age was no match for his powerful presence. After all, The Enlightened Soul will only choose a noble soul as an emissary. He must be superior to Phrazius and the other ten to behold the face of the Enlightened Soul.

'Phrazius, all your labours are well known. That includes those of your companions.'

Phrazius was delighted, but composure was paramount.

'However, your failures have left you all in want of edification,' the emissary went on. 'You were not far from the unveiling until you and the others permitted Bianza to know what he wasn't supposed to know.'

He looked at Phrazius for the first time and turned away. 'Let me hear the developments following Bianza's death.'

'We hear rumours of a planned reconciliation with the king, Your Greatness.'

'And what have you done to avert this? Reconciliation with the king will not only undermine the essence of your existence. It also dooms your soul to Dginy for incapacity.'

'We are spreading news, the converse of Bianza's death. The spirit of the rebellion has lived for almost thirty teneries. Empathizers with Bianza are numerous and while we awaited directions, we felt preserving the spirit of the rebellion was the best or least we could do. There is a lot of doubt regarding the death of Bianza.'

'Good. The Enlightened Soul has uttered these truths:

'Bianza did not live and die for nothing. This the people must be led to believe. Omnipus was familiar with all of Bianza's actions, wasn't he?'

'Yes, your greatness.'

'He will continue Bianza's work for the time being. Let him step into the late rebellion leader's shoes and mobilize the forces once again. Even a visionary's death cannot end his vision. The Enlightened Soul prescribes we use this. If the people believe he is alive, then there was no room for retreat. Let the people believe Bianza was injured in battle with the king's forces.

'The Enlightened Soul perceives that Zainox and Kainon have learnt of the development. Their intentions he has known, but he does not wish to tell now. On one hand, he is aware of a visit from Zainox and Kainon or one of them. They want to take advantage of the situation. The messengers should not be allowed to deliver their message.'

'All right, Your Greatness.' And Phrazius' face tightened.

'The two kingdoms must learn that their version of Harmonism is not admissible in Meinz. If King Themius' death is not enough to sound the warning, then we may have to take the battle to them now. After killing the messengers, we may have to kill the kings, Dasirus and Dravan. But the Enlightened Soul will give the order when the time is right.