Chapter 32: In a Lover's Arms

'I hope you are happy now that you've succeeded in postponing our tour.'

Nimrod could see the sweat beads slipping down Damian's brow. Damian and Abel had just returned from the courtyard. His muscles ached from lifting weights. He was tired, but as soon as he saw Nimrod, the tiredness seemed to disappear. Nimrod stood at the window, with his fingers locked behind him.

'Damian, will you stop nagging me?'

'What did you just call me?' Damian sought to remind him of discretion.

'Listen, I will do whatever I wish when it comes to finding the missoline. Do you hear me?' Nimrod continued, remorseless.

'Of course. I wish I knew this is what you'd be doing when we came here.'

'Do you know what I think?'

Damian didn't reply.

'I think you are jealous. You are simply jealous.'

'Are you serious right now? Is this what you came to Meinz to do, to search for the missoline in the arms of a woman?'

Nimrod exhaled heavily with impatience. 'Enough of that! You go look for your own woman. Be a man and find a woman!'

The arrow struck Damian deep in the ego.

Nimrod's mind sank in penitence instantly. The two locked fiery eyes for a few moments. Then Damian walked out of the room.

'I'm sorr—' Nimrod tried to say.

But the door slammed hard against his face.

Why did he say that? The error weighed heavily on his heart as he sank onto the bed. He leaned back on his elbows. Was Damian right? Were his priorities misplaced? Damian was his only friend in the world, and he was true. He had always occupied a special place in Nimrod's life. Was Damian's reaction the result of this special position being threatened by Gayna? His friendship with Damian was sacred, that is for sure, no matter what his relationship with Gayna was.

But finding the missoline wouldn't be easy. Gayna told him there has not been anyone checking into the inn worth asking about it yet. Then it occurred to him that she spent half of the time with him, not in the inn. He buried his face in his hands. You have to put yourself in order. Damian was right. They can't find the missoline like this.

He shook his head as if trying to shake water off his hair. But he couldn't leave Gayna for a tour around Zoan. He couldn't leave her for a single day. She was his life, his reason for being. Wherever she was, there his heart was. A moment without her was a million teneries of misery. No, Damian cannot understand this. What if every day passes like this without the missoline? Then he will have to return to Simsee... The very thought of leaving had him frozen for long moments.

The door opened suddenly and Damian walked in with Abel and a guard. Everyone looked tense.

'The king wishes to see us,' Damian informed him, 'now.'

Nimrod rose mechanically.

***

'Denny,' Sairus began, 'I learnt you turned down the offer for a tour. Is there any reason?'

Nimrod first turned left and right. He met Zola's eyes and Damian's eyes on each side.

'Your Majesty,' Nimrod stuttered, 'not in that sense... I... I only suggested it be close to our departure...'

The king's eyes showed he was hearing it for the first time.

'True?' he turned to Abel.

'Perhaps we misunderstood him,' Abel said.