Chapter 35: The Return to Zainox

Her mother advised her not to get too attached. Gayna understood her fears. Nimrod was not from Meinz and he'll one day have to leave. The pain of separation may be great. Gayna repressed those fears with the strength she drew from the love. She closed her eyes initially to the gloom that lurked near, lying in wait for her lover's departure to swallow her. As the days passed, the reality came knocking every night.

Would he ever come back? Even if he wanted to, could he? Even if he did, what would happen when he came back? He was a Zainoxian. She was Meinz. It was too much for her tender heart. She chose more and more solitude the last three days and whenever Nimrod left her in the evenings, she mourned each departure as if it was the last one. She never told him this and she feared she would never be able to show him how much she loved him. Tonight could be the last time they ever saw each other. He had promised he'll never leave her. To be sure, she tried to make the promise stand in her own secret way.

'I will miss you very much,' he said.

He couldn't possibly miss her half as she would him. 'I'll miss you too. Not the way you'll miss me. I'll die every day if I don't see you and I'll die quickly if you don't come back.'

The room was warm with the heat and light of the fireplace. They lay tangled on the carpet with a fully stuffed pillow to buoy their heads. She held him close, so close they certainly couldn't see each other. All they saw was their lover's blur and it meant more than everything else.

This is one of those things Nimrod wasn't sure how best to react to. Gayna could not possibly love him as much as he loved her. It was a shame that his accidental masculinity demanded that he be strong. He should be strong for her. He wondered whether being strong was not what she misconstrued as not loving her as much as she loved him.

'Honey, this is not easy,' Nimrod said. 'But I want you to be strong. Be strong for us. I will return. There is no life for me in Zainox anymore. My life is here with you.'

'What will I do? Who will carry me on his arms and run from snakes?'

Nimrod controlled himself. 'I'll be back. I'll be back as soon as I can.' He wiped the tears and pulled her down on himself, submerging her in a reassuring embrace. 'I'll never leave you, Gayna. I promise. I love you.'

She tightened her hold as though determined never to let go. Nimrod's blood heated with her tight embrace. He must not, he thought. Then she raised her head, her eyes glittered like the stars; her appearance evoking his most intimate desire as she easily did. Her eyes spoke in more words than she could ever do with her lips. She wanted him badly and she knew he wanted her too. A spark travelled through Nimrod's spine. She whispered three words. He didn't hear them. Then they kissed, softly at first.

'Don't let me go,' she cooed. 'Make love to me.'

'I will never let you go. I promise.'

She believed it. She could feel it. She knew he was telling the truth. She knew at this moment somehow, that Nimrod would always be with her. She will always be with him. Her heart was racing as was his, as they undressed each other in a flash of passion.

***

Damian heard a knock on the door. He thought it was Nimrod, for the last sound of the cue was long ago. When he opened it, he saw Selina and his blood curdled. He didn't know what to say for many moments.

'Can I come in?' she finally said.

'Oh... ar... sure. Ehm... come in.' He pushed the door wider.

She dismissed the maid before entering, and avoided his eyes most of the time. He too did avoid hers.