Chapter 17: Zola

Zola was a messenger who was as corpulent as a wealthy merchant. Lord Camron was the wealthiest man in Zainox and Kainon. He claims he produces half of all beer and wine drunk every day in the two kingdoms. But Zola didn't feel any less wealthy than Lord Camron. All Zola had to do was carry letters between Zainox and Kainon. Because of Dasirus and Dravan's feud, he was left with nothing to do in the last two teneries. He therefore just loitered and feasted. Then he added weight and wives, for he benefited luxury from the royal treasury. His luxury is about to be ended, and forever perhaps, by this sickening journey to Meinz. Indeed his suffering started the moment Lord Cleopas hit the gavel. Zola was asked to report to the mystics along with two escorts and thirty guard soldiers. They would remain in the temple house until the ritual of fortification was complete.

It all started with a three-day fast. This is nothing for the average Islander. But it was too much for Zola who soon began losing weight. The Zihan in charge of his fortification made sure to add that the fasting was not just for three days. The nights were also included. Zola was confined to a dark room for the first two days. Zola would not forget these two days particularly because it was the first time away from his wives. Relinquishing this intimacy was a difficult thing. He was yet not mature to eat food after the three days. He would be drinking consecrated water for the next two days. He would also be spending those two days in a bathtub filled with very hot water. Afterwards he was covered in oil and confined to sit for a whole day in front of the fire so as to sweat all his frailties out. Sweat he did, abundantly and obediently. He was prescribed a new diet and signs were tattooed to his back, feet, and palms. The sign of the eleven was the principal theme. All these days, the Zihan did not spare him the reading and reciting of the scriptures of the Tzarrah.

Finally, he was consecrated for the journey along with all the others who had suffered the fortification ritual in various rooms in the temple house.

***

For the thirty-four going to Meinz, two wagons should follow. There should be food for them and their horses including pairs of clothes and camping tents for sleep. Some gold also, to buy comfort in case necessity arises and the door was shut for the morning of the morrow.

Nathan and Dahira wrapped in blankets reached Zola's house around the fifth division of night. A third wagon tarried with them while the large door was swung open. Dahira apologised for failing to bring the third wagon earlier. He explained that the order from the king did not pass to him early enough. Zola's guards didn't understand.

Nathan then explained that the king had added the third wagon in the spirit of his fatherliness. It contained some more food and gold for the thirty-four to make their journey more bearable. It should have been here with the other two by the ninth division of day, but it had not been loaded at that time.

Zola recognised Nathan and Dahira as servants in the king's court. Then they advised him not to bother thanking the king for the third wagon since it was meant to be one of the wagons from the beginning. They could get in trouble if the king found out it arrived late.

He obliged.

The wagon was put with the rest.

Nimrod and Damian crawled out after the room was shut. They managed to perceive each other by help of the faint lights peering through the cracks in the door.

'It's cold,' Damian said, shivering. 'This is not really easy.'

Nimrod pulled out a blanket from inside the piles in the wagon, tossed it at Damian. He wrapped himself in another. 'I wonder how you could have coped if the month of Diyaray had fallen in winter.'

'So what next?'

'We wait till the tenth division. Have your sword ready.'

Damian nodded in the darkness. Then they heard footsteps.