Chapter 25: War Amongst Islanders

Sairus was still at the judgment table when the chamberlain knocked respectfully on the door.

"Your Majesty, there is a report of interest from the law soldiers," he announced from behind the door.

The king motioned to the guards to let him in. The chamberlain strode in and bowed dutifully.

"Your Majesty."

"Did you sleep well? What news pushes you to disturb my private time?"

"A report, Your Majesty," he said, holding up the report. "Eight people believed to be Thiocians were found dead in an underground room near the great lake. It looks like we have uncovered one of the lairs of the Thiocians for the first time."

Sairus didn't appear happy with the news.

***

"What?! He died?" Silva was furious. "Do you know what that means?"

"We are sorry. He killed himself."

Silva pulled himself up with gritting effort. "What is wrong with you two?"

The two cast down their eyes.

Silva felt like crushing them. He directed a scornful look at them for losing their only lead to the elusive Dylamon.

***

Maxis finished reading the letter and laid it on the table. Dravan waited with a searching gaze, trying to read his son's reaction. Maxis did not show the expected reaction. He maintained a calm composure that almost troubled his father.

"So? Did you notice anything abnormal?" the king asked.

Maxis did not answer immediately. "King Dasirus is doing his best to make sure Meinz is not agitated or provoked to aggression. At the same time, he's trying to meet your demands."

"Don't you notice how many channels of communication Dasirus has opened between himself and Sairus? He has effectively shifted Kainon out of the way by first saying our debt be fully paid and forgotten. Then Zainox' debt would be deliberated for seasons perhaps."

"Do you wish to be in correspondence with Sairus?"

"That's beside the point. Dasirus is establishing a relationship with Sairus contrary to our agreement."

"Did you two have any agreement? I thought your meeting ended in a disagreement."

Dravan rose to his feet. "Maxis, you are deliberately trying not to see things from my perspective."

Maxis reclined to focus on the old man's face. Behind the table, Dravan started pacing up and down.

"Father, you are handling this matter with too much anxiety. You are getting paranoid."

"Maxis, I know what I'm saying. Meinz cannot be allowed to be in correspondence with us until they are cleansed. Their curse will contaminate us. Dasirus has to know this. Can you imagine he even stopped the interest on Zainox' debt?"

Maxis folded his arms. "So the debt retrieval was supposed to be aimed at what, again?"

"Thwarting the military consolidation. If Sairus is not checked, we are doomed." He continued to pace. "Maxis? If Sairus is not checked..." he shook his head.

Maxis was not fazed. "Father, we cannot thwart a military consolidation if Meinz wants to have it. The only thing we will get under the circumstance is a war in the worst of provocations. But the Meinzes are our brothers nonetheless. We don't want a war with them. Do we?"