Chapter 33: The Brothers and the Missoline

"Did Denny come back last night at all?" Abel asked Damian as they emerged from the Temple of Mother Earth.

They spotted Nimrod embracing someone from a distance. Nimrod and Gayna engaged in deep conversation for extended periods. Eventually, they turned towards Damian, their fingers interlocked as they navigated through the crowd.

"Oh, Gayna. I see," Abel remarked, nodding knowingly.

"She cannot be far from it," Damian quipped with a smile.

"Happy morning, Savion," Gayna greeted, her smile suggesting she knew he wasn't truly Savion. Then she noticed Prince Abel and offered a slight bow. "Your Highness."

"It's a pleasure to meet you again," Damian replied.

Abel waved slightly and excused himself. "I'll see you in the palace," he said to Damian. "Denny," he nodded in acknowledgement to Nimrod before departing.

"How do you feel now?" Gayna inquired.

"I'm well," Damian shrugged. It was the first time he noticed Nimrod's radiant expression, glowing and gleaming beside Gayna, causing Damian to regret his initial contempt for her.

"How was the night?" Nimrod asked.

"I'm afraid you'll have to explain your absence to His Majesty... Damian," he added discreetly, scanning the area for eavesdroppers.

Nimrod breathed a sigh of relief. "Really?"

Gayna pressed closer against Nimrod, her arm tightening around his side.

Damian smiled. "See how perfect you two look. Gayna, I'll pardon your crime of stealing my friend on grounds of compatibility."

"Thank you," she bowed slightly. "Your Majesty."

Nimrod didn't betray how impressed he was by Damian's ability to converse with Gayna.

"Alright, can I have my friend back now?" Damian joked.

"A moment, Your Majesty," Gayna held up a finger. She pulled Nimrod's face closer to hers.

Damian turned away. "I get it. Just tell him to meet me in the palace when you are through."

Nimrod joined Damian a short while later.

He informed Nimrod that the brothers would be at the palace later that day.

***

"One of the brothers explained, 'We found a sac close to the liver. We discovered it is different in cases of poisoning and in cases of natural death. Our conjecture is that the sac helps remove poisons from the body.'"

"Good thing you said it's a conjecture," his brother interjected. "I don't think it removes poisons. I think the liver uses the sac for something else."

Nimrod observed the brothers, noting their differing opinions on the same solution.

The room they entered was a storage area in the west wing of the palace. It was well-ventilated with windows spanning three sides of the room. Shelves stacked with collections of plates, pans, and crucibles of various metals and glass ran along the walls. Five tables were arranged around a central furnace. Above them, crystals in the ceiling created a pattern resembling stars in a night sky, reflecting the sign of the eleven. Nimrod and Damian sensed the room had been unused for teneries, judging by the sound of creaking hinges and rattling latches earlier. Yet, inside, it was tidy and orderly, resembling a new physician's workspace. There were no herbs, roots, or medicines in the bottles and pots that stood neatly arranged on three of the tables.